Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mapping "Program Files"

• Please log in to reply

FrankL

FrankL

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have two Dell PC's with XP Pro SP2 installed on each and an Ethernet link between the two, via a hub.

The problem I am having is that, when I try to map the "Program Files" folder on one PC, from the other, I get an "Access Denied" message.

This is a real pain as I want to share data in an application on one PC from another but cannot map the drive.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards, Frank

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you shared that folder and given the neccessary network privelages?

FrankL

FrankL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

have you shared that folder and given the neccessary network privelages?

When I try to share the "Program Files" folder, the sharing options are greyed out! I don't know why!! :tazz: :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm..interesting...are you logged on as administrator? is it possible in the program in question to set a different than default location for it to save the data that you're wanting to share?

FrankL

FrankL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm grateful to you Dysnette for sticking with me - I'm logged on as "Computer Administrator" in the User Accounts settings. I guess this is what you mean.

I suppose I can de-install and re-install my application outside "Program Files" and the map it. But I can't understand why I am not able to share and map it where it is!!!! :tazz:

FrankL

FrankL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have subsequently found a Microsoft article that states with XP Pro SP2, "Program Files" & "My Documents" cannot be shared. I have no idea why MS have done this! :tazz:

Strangely however, sub-folder below Program Files can be shared and then the path to that sub-folder can be entered manually to map it as a drive. :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not even sure what your trying to accomplish ... is your intent to "copy" programs from one PC to another?

That is not likely to work with most programs

FrankL

FrankL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My intent is to have an application on one machine use the data on another.

Using the manual method described, I have been able to accomplish this and the performance is better for sharing the load between two machines.

Thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you don't mind me asking, what program? Programs should not, as a rule, place data in c:\program files\{program name}

It's bad habit/practice

games do, but they are getting away from it (thank goodness)

Placing data in c:\program files makes backup a pain in the butt

FrankL

FrankL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
SAGE Accounts Line 50.

It installs to Program files with a sub-folder called ACCDATA, which contains the database.

Goldmine also installs to Program files with the database also in a sub-folder called GMBASE - but I actually moved the data for this application outside Program Files.

These two applications are certainly not from 'micky mouse' outfits but that's what they do.

Regards, Frank :tazz: