Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiping hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Scarletspdr

Scarletspdr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was wondering if there is a way to wipe a hard drive without erasing the operating system and the other essential needed for a computer to run. Also, I want to install a different operating system on a computer but am having some problems. I installed the new operating system by I still have the old one. How do I get rid of the old operating system?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only way to "wipe" a computer without removing programs you want, and the OS...is to manually go in and remove things...using add/remove programs to uninstall software...and just deleting files and folders...

why are you wanting to "wipe" the computer anyway? did it make a doodie? (kidding)

for your second question
how did you install the new os? where did you get the new os? what was the old os? what is the new os?

Scarletspdr

Scarletspdr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I'm not worried about removing programs. I want to get rid of the programs and everything else. I was wondering if there are key components that the computer needs to run that I should worry about getting wiped. The computer being wiped is for a friend and he wants to get rid of everything because it was given to him and wants all the crap off of it that the previous owner had.

As for installing the new OS, it is for my computer. I have XP Home right now and tried installing XP Pro. It kept Home and put Pro on there also.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...for the friends computer....if you have the original operating system cd...just format and start over...that's the quickest way to get rid of everything on there..

as for your problem...can you boot into both hom and xp? or does one of them not work?