Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Assistance Required with Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

Nicola

Nicola

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello

Hope you can help. :tazz:

I have been told by the guys/girls on the Malware Removal Forum that my computer does not meet the specified spec to run Windows XP Professional (which it currently has installed).

I informed them that I have a Windows 98 disk and asked them if this would run better on my computer, they said yes Windows 98 would be better and to ask you guys/girls how I can get rid of (uninstall) the XP Professional to enable me to Install the Windows 98 software. They asked me to post a new topic in this Forum.

Any Help/Advice would be much appreciated as I have just spent the last week and a half trying to find out why my computer is playing up (ie very slow and restarting when on the internet).

Kind Regards

Nicola. :)

Edited by Nicola, 30 January 2006 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off the 98 CD. Boot from CD and choose option 3.

Now type in "Fdisk" and press enter. Press Y on the 512Mb screen and Y to the NTFS screen (if prompted).

Now you need to delete the partition. IIRC this is option 3 on the first screen of FDisk and then delete the non-DOS partition which is again option 3 IIRC.

Repeat for all partitions.

When done, go back to the main FDisk menu and create a new partition, you want to use the whole drive.

When done, you must reboot at this point (after when it tells you so). CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot and load off the 98 CD again.

This time you want option 2 - load with CD Support.

Change to x:\Win98 (where X is the drive letter of the CD unit - usually drive D) and type in "format C:" and press Enter.

You should now be able to installl 98. Copy everything in the win98 folder to the hard drive and run Setup from there.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
1st of all, thanks for your reply.

Instructions look like they r in a different language to mine (probally beacuse I'm thick when it comes to computers).

Will try my best to follow, and post back once done or if I have problems.

Thanks Again

Nicola