Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Chirping and then Computer REBOOTS ITSELF!

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I'm not sure what the problem is. I have TuneUp and it keeps telling me that my system is optimized and that there are no errors. Yet, tonight I was napping next to the computer and was aware of these strange chirping noises and looked up to see the hard drive light going on and doing something out of the ordinary. Next thing I knew, my computer was rebooting itself. This has happened recently, and even after running several Antispyware scans, don't seem to be able to find anything. When I run AdAware, it sometimes finds tracking cookies. The other day, it found something in the windows registry. Tonight, it has found nothing critical.

NOW I'M HEARING THE SOUND EVERY FEW SECONDS. While I hear it, I type, but nothing shows on this page. Then, after the noise ends, I can see my typing. This is really scaring me!!!

I"m thinking it's about to crash, but it hasn't yet. Panda is running a scan and has found 2 hacking tools, although no other scan has found these. Not Spywareguard, not Spyware Cleaner, and not Spybot S&D. Nothing!!! Yet, Panda keeps saying I have spyware AND a Hacking tool!

I really need some more help. Gerry F started to help me a few days ago, but then I don't know what happened.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I ran the eventvwr and I find that I have several warnings for events 36, 51, 1003 and 1007. THese are all under System. The source for 36 is W32Time, for 51 is disk, for 1003 and 1007 dhcp. I don't really know what any of this means, but I think it's connected with all the noise I keep hearing. The computer doesn't always reboot itself, but after hearing the chirps, sometimes it does. I must've heard these chirps that last about 3 seconds about 25 times in the last half hour. Now, they seem to have stopped.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
double click the speaker icon in your system tray and MUTE the box under MICROPHONE...you are probably picking up noise from a drive

Now, the chirp does not by itself scare me...the DISK error in eventvwer does....double click that and relate the info found there.

the others are likely not so important

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Gerry,

I'm attaching print screens of several pages of the EventViewer. The chirping noise only occurs when I'm having problems with the hard drive. I'm certain it is connected. When I type and the chirping noise starts, it sometimes freezes whatever I'm doing. Other times, it seems to indicate an imminent failure of some sort. My speakers are only a couple of months old and they've been great. The sound isn't coming from the speakers, it's coming from the tower itself. And, when this happens, it's a sort of whirring/chirping sound. I've never heard it before, but I know it's not the speakers. Not unless they're able to transfer sound down to the tower on the floor.

My computer had another disk boot failure while I was gone to yoga class. I was gone about an hour and a half, and I came home to a black screen. I had to shut the power strip off to turn the computer off. Then when I restarted, the dskchk ran. It did not seem to indicate any errors, but clearly something is very wrong.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Gerry,

I'm attaching print screens of several pages of the EventViewer. The chirping noise only occurs when I'm having problems with the hard drive. I'm certain it is connected. When I type and the chirping noise starts, it sometimes freezes whatever I'm doing. Other times, it seems to indicate an imminent failure of some sort. My speakers are only a couple of months old and they've been great. The sound isn't coming from the speakers, it's coming from the tower itself. And, when this happens, it's a sort of whirring/chirping sound. I've never heard it before, but I know it's not the speakers. Not unless they're able to transfer sound down to the tower on the floor.

My computer had another disk boot failure while I was gone to yoga class. I was gone about an hour and a half, and I came home to a black screen. I had to shut the power strip off to turn the computer off. Then when I restarted, the dskchk ran. It did not seem to indicate any errors, but clearly something is very wrong.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Gerry,

I keep trying to attach the screen shots, but I can't seem to do it.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
THe latest error from eventvwr says: Service Control Manager, Event 7000 (twice), 7001 and 7023. I am now getting disk boot failures every time I turn on the computer!!! I see that from Panda online scan, it says I have MyWay (which I thought I'd gotten rid of a long time ago). Panda is the only one that finds this "potential hacking tool", but it doesn't clean it (without buying the product). I really need some help.

I tried to attach screen shots, but I can't get this to work. In the past, I've tried to attach files, and found that this did not work for me here. I have no problems anywhere else attaching files. Is there some trick to this here?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Another thing that concerns me is this: the event manager shows activity even while I do not have the computer powered on. Is that normal or correct? Could someone be hacking into my computer? I do have a DSL connection, and this really concerns me.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well there's definately not supposed to be any activity while the machine is turned off. If someone got hold of your IP they COULD be using one of your hardware to wake the machine remotely... LAN cards can be used to do that.

But I'm not jumping the gun to say you have a hacker problem.

To verify the concern however, i'll ask you to do this. Tomorrow, or the next day, unplug the modem while the computer is off. That way, the machine is physically disconnected from the net.

There shouldnt be any activity reported then. If there is, that would mean something in windows is reporting the time wrong. Unlikely, but I've learned to expect the unlikely.

As for panda... I'd be inclined to believe all the other software. If only one anti-malware program is saying something's up, it could be wrong.

But try scanning with TrendMicro. That's usually my fallback when I question the security of my system.

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

Tell me what happens after the scan is done.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Vaillant,

I have been unable to run the Trend Micro Housecall scan since December. I don't know what the problem is, but when I click into the Virus scan page, nothing happens. I can only run the Antipspyware scan. I'm doing that now, but usually the computer reboots after just a 20 minutes. I never know when it's going to happen, but lately it happens when I walk away for several minutes. The first time it ever happened, I was right in the middle of something and the screen went black. I thought it was a power outtage at first.

I was able to run a HD Tuneup scan, but it found absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. But then again, this is the first time I've used it.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I ran the antispyware scan by Trend Micro, and it found 4 tracking cookies which I removed. Nothing else. I don't know if there is something different Trend has done lately, but I simply cannot run the housecall antivirus scan like I used to be able to. However, I do have AVG and Norton. I just don't know when the computer will reboot again. When it does, I have to turn the power strip off and then turn it on again because I cannot restart it from the black "disk boot failure" screen.

stewiey

stewiey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I ran the antispyware scan by Trend Micro, and it found 4 tracking cookies which I removed. Nothing else. I don't know if there is something different Trend has done lately, but I simply cannot run the housecall antivirus scan like I used to be able to. However, I do have AVG and Norton. I just don't know when the computer will reboot again. When it does, I have to turn the power strip off and then turn it on again because I cannot restart it from the black "disk boot failure" screen.

Try the task list and llok for this virus running. USBHUB.exe we got hit bad with it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also boot into your bios setup and disable the option called "boot on lan" or wakeup or something like that...that will disable the ability for anyone to start your computer with your NIC card..

simeontechie

simeontechie

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
well - i dunno, but i know that with "intel boards" a "random beep" is hard to define.
not like a "hi-lo" processor overheat or anything... it just cherps at random...

i had that trouble... for about 5 hours one day... then, my pc restarted and i never could get it back into windows (not even in safe mode)... so i downloaded seagates HD test stuff and found 12 bad sectors on my HD...

so, i got a new one...

another thing to test that theory, take your side pannel off and get your ear near the HD... does it sound like a DVD player trying to read a bad part of a disk? like it keeps repeating the same movement over and over? if, so, you may have bad sectors...

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

well - i dunno, but i know that with "intel boards" a "random beep" is hard to define.
not like a "hi-lo" processor overheat or anything... it just cherps at random...

i had that trouble... for about 5 hours one day... then, my pc restarted and i never could get it back into windows (not even in safe mode)... so i downloaded seagates HD test stuff and found 12 bad sectors on my HD...

so, i got a new one...

another thing to test that theory, take your side pannel off and get your ear near the HD... does it sound like a DVD player trying to read a bad part of a disk? like it keeps repeating the same movement over and over? if, so, you may have bad sectors...

I agree here. If I were you I would click on start and then Run and type in CMD. Then when the command window comes up type in "chkdsk C: /r" without the quotes. It will say it can't run chkdsk because the drive is mounted or in use. It will then ask you if you'd like to run CHKDSK on the next restart. Type Y (for yes) and then type exit...and reboot your system The system will then run through a repair chkdsk and test for errors.

A word of warning though. If the noise is comming from your drive...Imediately go and get yourself another one and back up your data. Noises like a chirp or click in a drive mean imminent failure and if you let it go...you may get nothing back.