Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag is gone

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I know, I know should learn to read the boxes that pop up before I hit the ok button.

Now I got myself in a fix.

My computer is running a little slow, nothing strange. I run CCleaner once or twice a week along with spybot and adaware.

Thought I would try O&O Software Defragger, so I ran O&O and it did a good job, but didn't really like it so I unistalled it and now I don't have a defrag in the system tools. When I go to the run command and hit defrag, a screen comes up then goes away again. How do I get it back???

I have a 1.7 gig P4, Windows XP SP2 all updates, 1.0 gig RAM, 80 gig HD.

Panda on line scan found a trojan in my mailbox, deleted it and rescan, nothing found. Ran AVG, nothing found.

Am I missing something???

:tazz:

Advertisements

TAXER101

TAXER101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This is very strange ive never had a problem like this and i have had hundreds of problems.

I belive it may a coruption in Windows.
Have u tryed a system restore???

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
have system restore turned off.....must be this age thing I got.

TAXER101

TAXER101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I always leave system restore on my OS hard drive.
Its a Safety Feature.

How long has it been since u formated?
and
Do u have a Windows firewall running all the time your computer is on?

Edited by TAXER101, 30 January 2006 - 11:31 PM.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I use ZoneAlarm and have had no troubles with anything for a while, I think that O&O did somehting, but don't know how to fix it.

I tried starting from the Windows XP disk and at startup went to repair and typed in chkdsk /p/r, restarted and still nothing. I looked at the add/remove windows components for it and cannot find it.

My last resort is to format and reinstall Win XP, but if that is what I have to do, have to do a bunch of back ups before I do.

Was just hoping that there was a easier way.

TAXER101

TAXER101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
That program overrides standard windows Defragger with theres.
I dont know anyway of getting it back the best idear is to go to their web site and send them a email and ask them how to fix it.

http://www.oo-softwa...edback_frm.html

fill that form out and they will email you with support.
Good Luck

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
thanks for your help on this.

I am trying sfc /scannow and the win xp disk is not taking. Maybe my drive is bad?? Just burn some CDs this afternoon.

Thanks again for your help, will write them and see what happens, will post after they answer me.

I have cable internet and my firewall and antivirus (AVG) comes on with the computer.

If all fails, will just reformat the hard drive and turn on system restore, leave it on this time.

Lesson learned.

thanks again

TAXER101

TAXER101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
you could run Spybot S&D it may find something.

You can download it free hear, http://www.download....tml?tag=lst-0-1
Just update it and then do a scan and remove any at risk objects.
Hope this helps.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
have it on the computer, ran it...nothing found. Just wrote O&O, thanks for the link.

Just have to wait til they answer me.

Ran Adaware, CCleaner, RegScrubXP, Spyware Blaster...nothing found.

Really believe it was O&O that did it, everything was fine before I used it. Probably hit the replace or destroy old settings button without thinking.

Will post when I get it fixed and let you know.

thanks again

TAXER101

TAXER101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
im glad to help yeah i think u will find it is O&O

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sfc /scannow should have worked....try copying your i386 directory to your harddrive from the CD and then poin sfc to it when it asks for the windows disk

Before doing that, and do not format, etc

start > run
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dfrgsnap.dll
<enter>

start > run
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.dll
<enter>

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

sfc /scannow should have worked....try copying your i386 directory to your harddrive from the CD and then poin sfc to it when it asks for the windows disk

Before doing that, and do not format, etc

start > run
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dfrgsnap.dll
<enter>
start > run
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.dll
<enter>

Must be this age thing I got. Should have checked this forum again before I tried something I read somewhere.

GerryF, that sounds like it would have worked. Thanks for your advise. Have to start writing stuff down. But then I forget where I wrote it. :tazz:

What I did was put the XP SP1 CD in the drive and restarted, then hit setup, F-8 and repair. I was trying to fix it by using recovery. It did the repair alright. Back to SP1, video driver gone, AVG not working and some beeping at startup, haven't fixed that yet. Reinstalled my video driver and AVG, went to Windows Update Site and spendt 2 hours (w/cable modem) updating.

Got everything back to normal and working fine...so far.

Still think it was O&O defragger that did it, but everything I read about it, says it's a fine program.

Want to thank you and TAXER101 for the help you provided. Haven't heard anything from O&O yet.

TAXER101

TAXER101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow they must have realy bad customer feedback then