Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting a website

• Please log in to reply

needhelp13

needhelp13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I’m trying to build a new website but can’t figure out how to do it.

I’m using coffeecup as my editor.

I was instructed that if I like a design of a website that I could just look at it’s source and basically format my site to look similar to the original site.

I tried copying the source from the original site, made some chances to the source, but all I keep getting on my editor is white boxes with XXXX’s. How do I fix my problem?

Or can you recommend a site or sites where I can learn how to make web pages more efficiently?

Advertisements

Guest_Falu_*

Guest_Falu_*
Hi needhelp13,

Go to HP Learning Center where you may subscribe for free online courses to develop a website. I know from experience that they offer good courses to start with; I recommend to start with the course to write you first webpage which is about learning html.

With Google you can find alternatives if you want to.

Good luck.

KiLleR Civilian

KiLleR Civilian

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Be constructive or dont help at all. Rude comments will not be tolerated.

Edited by ScHwErV, 31 January 2006 - 07:10 AM.

jrm-hosting

jrm-hosting

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well, for one I know you if you are getting boxes with xx on them could probably mean many things but for one just make sure that you if you are using picture on that site make sure that you have all the pictures properly linked and saved somewhere on the server you are trying to host or test that site. XX most of the time means for me that the web browser is looking for the graphics of the site but the graphics are no where to be found.

Just a thought!

Desiredfx

Desiredfx

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Can we please see the code that your working with? maybe a test page online are just a simple copy and paste for us to check for you.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
It could even be based on the CSS file that was used in the original source code. I have to agree, pop a copy of the source code you're using and we might have a better idea. also post a link to the original website that you copied the source from.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
yeah it's almost surely the image problem. you have to either change the links in the source file, or download the images manually (just view the webpage, go file>Save As... and it will save the html doc, as well as any css/image files that are used on the page).

ricangeek

ricangeek

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
What user Falu recomended is good however this is better for some who are just starting out
with HTML: www.dark-street.com/darkstreet/website_mentor.php You cannot use html here.