Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive is messed up!

• Please log in to reply

Icculus

Icculus

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a 250 gig "media" drive.

Recently my whole computer went to [bleep]. Video card busted (bios wont even start up when its plugged in) old hard drive is gone (Im expected to buy a 30 dolla restore cd from hp, screw that) among other things.

This doesnt bother me too much, as i had an extra hd, and an on board vid card (ok the vid card pisses me off a lot)

However my media drive is messed up

i have 70 gigs of music, all which have file names and paths and show up in windows explorer, however problems are insane with about 50% of my music (devistating considering im a music guru)

Many files which show up are dead links, where many others are actually clips from other songs (if i play Buena Vista Social Club, it plays part of a Bach sonata or something) Is there anything that I can do to recover/repair this data? Chkdsk has ben run upwards of 10 times and only deleted has deleted things (terrrible idea, i know).

Please help, as it really sucks because my backup media drive I used to run my OS so i deleted my backup drive :tazz:

SO MUCH WAS LOST!!!

Edited by Icculus, 31 January 2006 - 02:58 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Icculus

Can you quickly clarify a couple of things first please....

You said your old drive is 'gone'. Does that mean you only have one drive (the 250GB drive) installed at the moment & the old drive is not connected?
Is it the 250GB drive that you are trying to recover the media files from? Is this drive partitioned more than once (i.e has more than one drive letter assigned)?
Which file system (FAT32 or NTFS) is used by the drive containing the media files?

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
NTFS, one partition, the 250 gig i want to get the media from, and the other drive thats messed up i replaced with an extra drive i had laying around.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I think the best option is for you to use a data recovery program of some kind. Two of the better ones around that are available for around $50 (as opposed to over $100) are iRecover & File Scavenger.

Both support NTFS & both have demo versions available for free download. The advantage of this is that you can run the demo which will find lost/corrupted files but it won't recover them. Once you know that the program has found stuff worth recovery, then you can choose to pay for the software & actually recover the files.

DIY's iRecover : http://www.diydatare...ry.nl/index.htm
File Scavenger : http://www.quetek.com/