Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error on StartUp - Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply

ace_porate

ace_porate

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Hey hardware guys,

My buddy down the hall hailed me to fix his computer but it's definitely hardware-oriented. When i tried turning it on the following message appeared:

"Primary hard disk drive 0 not found

No boot device available
No bootable devices - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

It is a Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop. As far as i know it was working alright until today.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ace

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi ace

First thing to do is when you see that error message, press the F2 key to access the bios (system setup). In there it should list the hard drive parameters. EG DISK # .....CAPACITY(GB) ETC. You may also see an optical drive (CD/DVD) drive listed underneath.
Let me know if the hard drive is listed there or whether it reports 'No drive installed' (or similar).

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi ace

First thing to do is when you see that error message, press the F2 key to access the bios (system setup). In there it should list the hard drive parameters. EG DISK # .....CAPACITY(GB) ETC. You may also see an optical drive (CD/DVD) drive listed underneath.
Let me know if the hard drive is listed there or whether it reports 'No drive installed' (or similar).

ace_porate

ace_porate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Alright i entered the bios. Here's what i found:

Pg. 1

Time Date etc...
Pentium M 1.60 GHz
System memmory, video memory, some other stuff

Primary Hard Drive: None

Pg.2 - Boot order

Diskette Drive (in gray)
Internal HDD (in gray)
USB Storage (in gray)
CD/DVD/Cd-RW
Modular Bay HDD
Cardbus NIC
Onboard NIC

and 5 more pages (so a total of 7) of other stuff.

Is that the info you needed??

Ace

ace_porate

ace_porate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
It looks like he's just going to get a new hard drive, but i just wanted to check to see if there was anything we could do to help him before he goes and does it.

bumpy bump.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
My money is on the harddrive, sounds like its dead.

If he hasn't made any hardware/software changes just before this problem started then its likely.

I'm not to sure how the insides of a laptop work but if it was a PC I would be inside it checking all the connectors were secure.