Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word takes forrrevvver to open, close, and open and close do

• Please log in to reply

osfan1960

osfan1960

• Pip
  • 6 posts
For some itme Micorsoft Word has taken a very long time to open and close the program and to open and close documents. We also seem to get a run time error which closes it out on us in the middle of working or as we are trying to close. I don't really know where to start.

Runtime Error! C:\programs files\microsoft office (sorry, the error went away and Word closed before I could get the rest of it written.)

I've attached a screen shot of the Microsoft Word about to provide the info. you may need.

Please advise.

Thanks,

osfan1960

I removed the screenshot as it included the product code

Edited by Keith, 31 January 2006 - 04:08 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Close ALL programs

search for all instances of normal.dot, and delete them

Make sure your search includes all system and hidden folders.

MS Word will recreate these files when you restart it

osfan1960

osfan1960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi gerryf,

I did what you requested. I found and deleted 8 normal.dot. However, I don't know if my search included system and hidden folders as I don't know how to specifically do that.

After deleting the 8 found, there was no appreciable difference in speed in opening, closing, or switching documents in Word.

What should be my next step?

Thanks,

osfan1960