The new components I got:
- ASUS A8N-E,
- A64 3200+ (Venice, box)
- PixelView/Prolink 6800GT (256MB, 350Mhz/1100Mhz)
- Hiper Power 425W (max peak 475, PCI-Express & SATA ready)
The old components are: 2x256MB Kingmax DDR 550 (running as DDR400 for now), a 120GB Western Digital (EIDE), a DVD-RW Pioneer (DVR-108) and a Samsung 960BF monitor, connected through one of the DVI ports of the VB.
At power-on, a LED on the video board blinks for a short time (1/5 of a second) and the VB fan won't start. All other components seem to boot correctly (1 long beep (or maybe 2 very short and very close beeps) and 3 short ones) and the system seem to enter into Windows just fine.
I insist (with few on/off cycles) until the video board finally starts (the green LED is ON and the VB fan will power up - as expected). The system is stable when I get it started even for long periods of time, with great stress on CPU, GPU or both.
Other info that might help:
- I've tried with a 400W (no-name) PSU and the frequency of successful startups seemed for a moment greater, but now has a similar success/failure rate
- the video board and the mother board are correctly connected to the PSU (main 20+4 connector, another 4pin connector and a 6 pin molex in VB)
- either with a stripped system (no drives) or in full configuration the system does the same
- during a normal system run, the 12V & the 5V tension seem normal
- last ASUS A8N-E bios was installed (1010)
- no overcclocking
- processor temperatures: 31-39 C
- video board temperatures: 53-59 C
The "beeps" are attached to this post. Please check them out.