Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The video board starts only sometimes....

• Please log in to reply

T1tan

T1tan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've upgraded my system and in about 1 power-on from 5 I actually get the video board running and in the other 80% I get: 1 long beep and 3 short beeps.

The new components I got:
- ASUS A8N-E,
- A64 3200+ (Venice, box)
- PixelView/Prolink 6800GT (256MB, 350Mhz/1100Mhz)
- Hiper Power 425W (max peak 475, PCI-Express & SATA ready)

The old components are: 2x256MB Kingmax DDR 550 (running as DDR400 for now), a 120GB Western Digital (EIDE), a DVD-RW Pioneer (DVR-108) and a Samsung 960BF monitor, connected through one of the DVI ports of the VB.

At power-on, a LED on the video board blinks for a short time (1/5 of a second) and the VB fan won't start. All other components seem to boot correctly (1 long beep (or maybe 2 very short and very close beeps) and 3 short ones) and the system seem to enter into Windows just fine.
I insist (with few on/off cycles) until the video board finally starts (the green LED is ON and the VB fan will power up - as expected). The system is stable when I get it started even for long periods of time, with great stress on CPU, GPU or both.

Other info that might help:
- I've tried with a 400W (no-name) PSU and the frequency of successful startups seemed for a moment greater, but now has a similar success/failure rate
- the video board and the mother board are correctly connected to the PSU (main 20+4 connector, another 4pin connector and a 6 pin molex in VB)
- either with a stripped system (no drives) or in full configuration the system does the same
- during a normal system run, the 12V & the 5V tension seem normal
- last ASUS A8N-E bios was installed (1010)
- no overcclocking
- processor temperatures: 31-39 C
- video board temperatures: 53-59 C

The "beeps" are attached to this post. Please check them out.

Attached Files

Advertisements

T1tan

T1tan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
What other things I've tried:

1. Cleared all the memory from the => long beeps

2. Only one memory stick at a time => nothing change from the dual channel configuration

3. I’ve removed the supplementary power from the video board (a 6 pin molex) => runs 2 out of 3 power-ons(66% now and only 20% before!!!) but in Windows I'm told that the video board has modified running parameters to keep the board running even if it's powered only by the PCIe slot (degraded frequencies 350/1100 to 200/600)

4. I've REMOVED the video board from the system and the same beeps as before when the board wouldn't power on (still the system appears to boot into Windows normally).

The beeps seem like 1 long and 3 short ones but the first long beep is actually two shorter beeps with a tiny pause between them (check the mp3 I've attached before). A8N-E has an AwardBios... and I'm unable to find a description for two very short beeps and 3 short ones. If I check Phoenix's POST error beeps (Award was bought by Phoenix...) would mean a 2-1-1-1 error code which would translate to the binary 01 00 00 00 -> 40h, but no correspondence in their error table

T1tan

T1tan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
A the service, they've told me the videoboard is bad so that's it