Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange problem w/ Radeon 9800 pro

• Please log in to reply

jubal

jubal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Asus A7N8X-E
420 watt power
Athlon xp 2600
radeon 9800 pro

Roughly a year ago I bought a Radeon 9800 pro to replace my old ti4200. It worked perfectly for about two months then it began to (every once in a while) freeze while playing games and force me to reboot. I didn't think much of it at the time, but it started to get worse over the next couple of weeks until it got to the point where every time I started a graphics-intensive game it froze immediately. An audible "click" noise similar to the click when you first press the power button always happened seconds before it froze.

So I sent it back to ATI and recieved a new one, a couple months ago, and it had been working fine again. Then all of a sudden, eariler this week, it froze unexpectedly. Now the entire cycle is starting to happen again: it freezes with that telltale "click" about once an hour. It's getting worse and is going to force me to sell it or send it back again.

I've tried all sorts of Catalyst versions along with other drivers-- same thing. Every trace of the Nvidia drivers has been removed, of course, that was the first thing I checked. If anyone has ever seen this before or has any idea what is going on here, I'd love to hear from them. :tazz:

Advertisements

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
have you overclocked your graphics card because this happened to me with my old graphics card...if you have overclocked it youll have to physically take out you gc and replace it (those overclocking programs for gcs are a menace to society lol)

good luck :tazz:

mike

ps by replace i mean reconnect your existing one

jubal

jubal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I thought that was the problem too, but this new one I haven't OCed at all, and it's still doing it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Check your agp voltage and try lowering some. I would think no higher than 1.55v, higher can run the card hotter and wear it out quicker.

Rick

Tmoney

Tmoney

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
sry for sounding stupid but how do u lower the agp voltage..I had the problem earlier with the 9800 PRO and it was quite annoying.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can check and lower the agp voltage in bios

Rick