Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drive Will Not Read Anything & Can Not Format!

• Please log in to reply

sh2121

sh2121

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys...ok ill start from the top. a couple days ago i suddenly had problems with my internet connection that were obviously related to my pc, not my internet service. it seemed like a spyware issue, so i ran viruscan, ad-aware, reg cleaner, windows update (which installed service pack 2, by the way), & restarted the PC. everything worked fine after that, EXCEPT for the fact that whenever I tried to use the USB drive (flash drive, mini-SD card reader, etc.), it will not read the device. it just asks me to format the disk. when i try to format it using FAT, it says "unable to format". it will, however, format under NTFS...but that's besides the point since I dont want to format to begin with (the devices work in other people's pc's...so i dont want to have to format them to NTFS just to use on my pc, id rather fix the problem with my pc). ive searched through this forum & over the internet & have tried several solutions (i.e. uninstallling/reinstalling usb drives, updating/rolling back drivers, changing the drive letters, etc.). nothing works, it keeps asking me to format every time i insert a usb device. the only thing left for me to do is re-install windows XP, unless someone here has any other suggestions pleaseeeee? thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
sh2121 –[USB Flash Drive Mini SD Card Reader]
2nd Feb 2006

Hello sh2121 – Welcome to – [Geeks to Go]

I will need the usual PC information – To narrow the possible causes -

1- PC Type – [Laptop] –[Desktop] – [Tower]
2- Age of PC
3- Make of PC
4- Model Number of PC
5- Operating System + Service Pack
6- Is this an Upgrade from WIN9X
7- Number of USB Ports on PC
8- List USB Devices installed on PC – including Hubs
9- Do any of the other USB Devices WorkFunction
10- Any recent Hardware Upgrade or Installed Hardware
11- Is PC on a Network –

Word Count 106
Jack123

sh2121

sh2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey thanks for the reply. ok here goes (to the best of my knowledge):

1- Desktop
2- about 5 years old
3- Dell
4- unsure
5- windows xp with service pack 2 (recently installed...may be possible cause of problem?)
6- Is this an Upgrade from WIN9X- NO
7- Number of USB Ports on PC- 4 (none of them work properly)
8- List USB Devices installed on PC – including Hubs- not sure what you mean, ive used flash drives, sd card readers, digi cameras, ipods, & an external dvd/r on my usb ports
9- Do any of the other USB Devices WorkFunction- NO
10- Any recent Hardware Upgrade or Installed Hardware- NO
11- Is PC on a Network – NO

sorry i couldnt answer anything, i only have basic pc knowledge...thanks!

sh2121

sh2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok so my problem just got weirder...NOW my cd & dvd drives dont work!! my dvd drive tells me to insert a cd into the drive, even when there is already a cd/dvd in the drive...and my cd drive doesnt even act as a cd drive anymore...when i double click the cd drive icon in "my computer" it just opens up like a regular file folder (with no files in it, as it is blank when i open it). and if i put a cd in it makes no differece, it still opens up as blank folder. this really sucks because i just found my motherboard cd and i was going to try to re-install drivers to try to fix the usb problem, and now i cant even try that! its like the pc is one step ahead of me- lol. i ran virusscan again and got nothing...im having no problems with my internet, hard drive, or any programs/applications. just my usb ports & my disc drives...PLEASE someone help!!!

sh2121

sh2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh its an ASRock AMD-SiS motherboard, by the way...i should have mentioned that i had the original motherboard replaced with this one about 6 months ago....so im not using the original motherboard.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
sh2121 –[USB Flash Drive Mini SD Card Reader] (#2)
3rd Feb 2006

[Golly – ZOOKS Man] -
I have only asked a few questions & problem is – [Advancing] – faster than my – [Absorption Rate] –

I think we should have a – [Malware Expert] – look at this problem – Now –

Hang on – I will Tag someone for you – Might take awhile – They get a Post per Minute -

Jack123

sh2121

sh2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thats ok actually...i brought the pc to a repair shop & after inspecting it they told me it was a virus...the pc was recognizing all the hardware devices (i.e. not a motherboard/bios issue), but it would not open any of them...it spread from the usb ports to my cd drives..SO long story short have to reformat my pc (for like the 5th time in a year)...i hate computers.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
sh2121 –[USB Flash Drive Mini SD Card Reader] –[#3]
3rd Feb 2006

thats ok actually...i brought the pc to a repair shop & after inspecting it they told me it was a virus...the pc was recognizing all the hardware devices (i.e. not a motherboard/bios issue), but it would not open any of them...it spread from the usb ports to my cd drives..SO long story short have to reformat my pc (for like the 5th time in a year)...i hate computers

Have you any Firewall Protection Software in place for PC – A Firewall is your best defense against a Virus Attack – An Antivirus is not enough – I have requested – [Advice Post] – from Malware Forum -

Sorry I did not read the signs of – [Malware] – earlier – So I could get you into the Malware Forum quicker –

Good Luck
Jack123

sh2121

sh2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes i had mcaffe viruscan and a firewall...and this is my 2nd virus within the past year ever since i upgraded to windows xp...which is why i just installed windows 2000 lol...never had a virus with that.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
sh2121 –[USB Flash Drive Mini SD Card Reader] –[#4]
3rd Feb 2006

Try Gibson Research Corporation – Good Internet security link – Read/Browse thru for info and run – [Shields Up] test to test PC for Open Ports – on the Internet – Check to see if you have open ports –

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Jack123