Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power On Password

• Please log in to reply

groovy_138

groovy_138

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I cant seem to get a power on password to come up on a computer that I am working on. I go in and set the new password and everything but when I restart the computer the power on password options never comes up it goes straight to the Windows password. The machine that I am working on is a older Compaq Deskpro En.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does the pc keep time? Could be the cmos battery

did you hit SAVE SETTINGS on exiting bios (not just save on password screen)

groovy_138

groovy_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah anytime that I go in and make changes I make sure that I alwats save the changes that I have made. Becasue you have to hit F10 to save the password changes and then you before I esc out I save changes made once again.

groovy_138

groovy_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
My bad, yes the PC does keep time and everything like that works good. I upgraded the machine to Windows 2000 and every since then the power on password has been took off. I took the cover off and the jumper is still on the pins so the power on password is enabled and should be working at this point.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm guessing this machine needs a bios update...I suspect that the windows power management function is altering the power on password during access---if the bios allows it, you could change the power management function to s1, or s3 and see if it makes a difference, but my guess is that the machine is not truly compatible with win2k (bios update may fix this)

groovy_138

groovy_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
That was what I was leaning toward to, that 2000 had something to do with it. Thanks alot for your time and info, I am a tech person with a big school district I do this kind of stuff every day, this was the first time that I came across this.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I can tell you that when I was doing a win2k migration for General Motors, we needed to update all the laptops from win98 to win2k and we had to do bios updates for most of them because of power management incompatibilities

They never manifested themselves in this way, but I don't think we were looking for it either