Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer slow

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi all. Always back with questions. I recently took off a game and since my computer has been lagging. Have scanned, defraged etc. Read on here to disable some programs which I did and helped a bit. Its only since putting on and taking off the game that this has happened. ??? Also another guestion if I dont want yahoo and Kodak icons at the bottom of the screen how to I get them off there permanently.? If I disable them they keep coming back.
As always thanks for your help.
Cat

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello Islandcat,

Usually when a computer runs slow, it has been infected with a virus or spyware. I would suggest going to http://www.lavasoftu...ftware/adaware/ and downloading Ad-aware SE Personal and run it to scan for any spyware. As for getting the yahoo and kodak icons off the system tray, you can do 1 of 2 things.

1. You can check the options in both the programs:
right click, and click on options, or settings, or something along those lines, and make sure the option for putting it on the system tray is unchecked.

2. If this doesn't work, or you don't use the programs at all, you can uninstall them. to do this,:
1. Click on Start > Settings > Controll Panel.
2. Double-click on the add/remove programs icon,
3. Look through the list and find the programs labeled with the Yahoo and Kodak names, and push the uninstall button.

It's been a while since I've used Windows 98, so there may be minor discepancies in the names. If you have any questions, just ask! Good luck.

~ejay563

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Welcome back islandcat...

In addition to what ejay563 suggested...

Yahoo Messenger can be stopped from running on start up through it's "Preferences" menu...under the "General" tab, I do believe. The Kodak application may have similar settings to stop it from starting automatically. If not, click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Click the "Startup" tab and look in the list for an entry referencing Kodak...remove the check from the box next to it, "Apply" the changes, and exit.

Upon restarting, you will see a "Selective Startup" dialog box...this is normal. Check the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Not having these applications running in the background will also release some system resource which will help your machine's performance.

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I really dont know what I would do with this forum and all your help. So ran the scan that you recommended and didnt find any viruses. Disabled the programs that were running. Still slow. Had previously done a restore to earlier date but that didnt help either. What started this was installed a game then decided didnt like the game so uninstalled it. So when I start up this comes up;
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows
The Windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this devide file no longer exists
If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program
vsdata95.VXV
Press any key

I did just a normal uninstall but looks like maybe I did my famous uninstall something that shouldnt have?? I learn a lot on here, but ya know a bit of information is dangerous in the wrong hands lol.

Please help me out yet again. Thanks
Cat

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
islandcat...

Let's remove the reference to the file from the registry...first, though, let's make a backup copy of the current registry. Click Start, then Run, then type regedit, and click "Ok".

In Registry Editor, click on "Registry" in the toolbar and choose "Export registry file...". Save it to your desktop...name the file for today's date (020306)...click "Save".

Now expand (click +)HKEY_LOACAL_MACHINE, then System, then CurrentControlSet, then Services, then VxD.

You will see a long list of VxD's...Locate VSDATA95.VXD, right click on it, and choose "Delete" to remove it. Accept the deletion when prompted. Close Regedit and restart your machine.

Does this resolve the VXD error on startup?

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
K, done everything as told. Computer starts better but still finding lag in mouse, have made some adjustments and will monitor it. Thanks again, hope I dont have to come back and bug you again. You people are the best.
Cat

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hello
Still have some lag here especially with the mouse, its hard to control. Made adjustments on it but still not working right, at a loss as to what else to try?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried updating the drivers? You might also try removing the mouse in Device Manager and let Windows reinstall it on the next startup.

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi again, well tried looking for driver updates. I havent been able to find any that dont say for XP. Can you tell me what I should be looking for ? I have microsoft automatic update advisor so have always done critical updates. Thanks again for your time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me gather a little information on your mouse...

Is it regular generic model? (non optical with a ball in the base)
An optical mouse? (light in the base)
What make and model is it?
Do you use a mouse pad and what color is it?

wannabe1

Advertisements

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi, I have a generic mouse, has AOpen written on it, not optical, on a black mouse pad. Came with computer way back when. Also went on the other forum to check once again for viruses and decided to download AVG and it tells me is still on here, went to find and found two files in c drive for it but cannot open them to get rid of them. Also took it off way back when I first had problems on here, and everything seemed to work better for awhile after that. I am so frustrated, have defragged, scanned done everything I can think of plus ran a clean up that was recommended on here and only had two files to clean up. Still slow, still mouse is wandering. Did you ever want to throw your computer off the balcony???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When was the last time you cleaned the tracking ball and tracking rollers in the socket? Have you tried the machine with a different mouse attached? It may be that your mouse is just getting old and needs to be replaced.

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi again, well checked everything you said and didnt help. But found this on here'
Try the following:

Trim down your Startup. Go to Start > Run type in msconfig - click OK.

Click on Startup and uncheck everything EXCEPT Scanregistry; System Tray; your AV; your Firewall.

And so far everything has speeded up and mouse is doing great. Just wondered if I took off too much stuff though? Do you think this has solved the problem or is this just hopeful thinking??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi islandcat...

That's hard to say. Would you mind posting a sreenshot of the msconfig window showing the startup list?

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I sure would, um if I knew how??? While you are still being so patient with me, a question. How much is too much for virus protection. The reason I ask is I have McAfee on here, decided now that everything was running good again to add AVG again. Same as before it doesnt like my computer, froze every time I started up. So am removing it (hopefully properly, as this was the start of problems way back when I first came on here). Is there another one you would recommend. Thanks again, will send the screen shot as soon as you tell me how.