Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports Not Working

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I just bought a external Floppy Disk drive and its supose to be plug and play (it didn't come with any software) but its not working. I have tried multiple USB ports and its not picking it up. I then tried the disk drive in another PC and it works it that, so I know its not the dish drive. I have went into computer mananger and looked at the USB ports and they say they are all working properly. Does anyone know of anything else I could try to make the USB ports work? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does anything else work in the usb ports?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

does anything else work in the usb ports?

No nothing else works either I actually took mouse off one of my other computers that is a usb mouse and that didn't work either. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Can anyone please give me some advice on what to do with this problem i would really appreciate it, thanks

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Anyone please.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wade please be patient, remember we are all volunteers here, and we do have our own personal lives and responsibilities.There are hundreds of other uses also waiting for help as well :tazz:

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

wade please be patient, remember we are all volunteers here, and we do have our own personal lives and responsibilities.There are hundreds of other uses also waiting for help as well :tazz:

Sorry about that I wasn't trying to be impatient I just thought you might have forgotten about me because there is hundreds of other users. I apologize again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
drop into BIOS by hitting f1,f2, or del on boot...go through the menus looking for LEGACY USB...is it enabled or disabled?

set it to enabled.

Please post model and make of PC if it does not work now.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

drop into BIOS by hitting f1,f2, or del on boot...go through the menus looking for LEGACY USB...is it enabled or disabled?

set it to enabled.

Please post model and make of PC if it does not work now.

Its a Dell Dimension 2400. I actually already checked that out also in the BIOS and it is enabled. I also went into computer manager and actually deleted all the USB ports then restarted so it would refresh them because I have done that before with another machine and that did the trick but not in this case. Do you have any other suggestions. Thats so much for your help I wasn't by no means trying to be rude earlier I know you guys busy and like I said I appreciate all your guys help, thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ugh, dell dimension 2400...I hate that machine.....personal reasons.

Go here

http://support.dell....=1&fileid=56457

download the chipset utility, load it, reboot.

Try again...in the meantime...what make model is the drive?

Advertisements

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Ugh, dell dimension 2400...I hate that machine.....personal reasons.
Go here

http://support.dell....=1&fileid=56457

download the chipset utility, load it, reboot.

Try again...in the meantime...what make model is the drive?

Ok so I downloaded that chipset and loaded and rebooted, I still have nothing also the other info you needed the model and make

Make - Sony 2X Speed Floppy Disk
Model - MPF88E

I hope thats what you needed, thanks again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Dell has stated in Dell knowledge base document FA1021802, that a USB device such as a scanner or printer may not be detected or function correctly when connected to the USB port of a Dell Latitude or Inspiron PC (it may occur on other models as well).

Various communication errors may occur, including device initialization and device not found errors.

Some Dell computers do not provide enough voltage from the USB ports to power some USB devices.

Dell recommends purchasing a powered USB hub to provide the USB devices with enough power to operate correctly. A USB keyboard with built in hub is not a solution and can worsen this problem.

Dell Inspiron 2650 has a known issue with the onboard O2Micro cardbus controller. Problems with cards attached to the controller are resolved by a patch found here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I found with a quick search. It may or may not be related to your problem though. :tazz: I'll do some more research...

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 February 2006 - 02:11 PM.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Dell has stated in Dell knowledge base document FA1021802, that a USB device such as a scanner or printer may not be detected or function correctly when connected to the USB port of a Dell Latitude or Inspiron PC (it may occur on other models as well).

Various communication errors may occur, including device initialization and device not found errors.

Some Dell computers do not provide enough voltage from the USB ports to power some USB devices.

Dell recommends purchasing a powered USB hub to provide the USB devices with enough power to operate correctly. A USB keyboard with built in hub is not a solution and can worsen this problem.

Dell Inspiron 2650 has a known issue with the onboard O2Micro cardbus controller. Problems with cards attached to the controller are resolved by a patch found here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I found with a quick search. It may or may not be related to your problem though. :tazz: I'll do some more research...

I will give the patch a try and see what happens. Even though I am using a Dell Dimension should it matter. Because I actully took the same floppy drive and plugged it into another Dell Dimension 2400 and it it worked fine, thats why I'm kind of dumb founded on why it wont work on this machine. Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I get no exist on that article...do you mean they really fessed up to this issue? I'm stunned. I had a dell dimension 8100 on my workbench for a week trying to resolve an issue with the stupid thing not working with a printer.

Dell blamed Lexmark
Lexmark blamed Dell
Both blamed Microsoft

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Consider this...go to devicemanager, and double click on each USB ROOT HUB...go to POEWR MANAGEMENT and UNCHECK "allow windows to shut this device down to save power"