Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows search option not working

• Please log in to reply

madalchemist

madalchemist

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
When i select start on my desktop then search (to search for files,folders etc) nothing at all happens? and my computer slows down so i have to rebot, but the start option cannot be selected as the computer is now busy. if i then do a three key deleate and look at my system idle speed it is 70%, i guess there might be some sort of registry issue hence why its not loading but i dont know how to even check for that? can anyone shed any light??
Thanks
:tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try this

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the i386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\inf to open directly to the inf folder.

and/or this
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks alot for gettin back to me, I tried last night method 1, the scan seemed to run ok, but it didnt promt me to do anything, and it didnt ask for the xp disk, nor was there anything to say if the scan worked ok or not, is that the norm? I obviously cant try method 2 as it is using the search which is whats not working! Am at work now but as soon as im home will try the first suggestion "QUOTE(http://www.kellys-ko...m/top10faqs.htm )" and see if that helps. I think your right, it is an explorer issue as I have had a few random messages pop up in various tasks sayin explorer has encounted an error and needs to close. Thanks again for getting back to me.

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I done the scan of the inf. file now, as ya suggested, it needed the xp disk and all seemed to work ok, but this has not helped I still cant use my search, and since i've been looking about I have discovered that my troubleshooters dont seem to work either, nor any of the support links such as network diagnostics, and help and support etc. Do ya think this could all be part of an exporer error, anyone any ideas?? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

download and install the above.

reboot

try again

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the advice, I tried the 5.6 script download but the problem remains, anyone know of anything else I could try??
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Click Start > Run
type
%systemroot%\inf
<enter>

in the window that pops up, find
PCHEALTH.inf
Right Click this file, select Install

now, find
srchasst.inf file
Right Click this file, select Install

right click and choose Install

While there

--

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Tried the two installs but no change, still no trouble shooters, help & support etc. :tazz:
Search still locking up. When I goto restart ,as the computer shuts down I get error explorer.exe not responding after being unsucessfull in ending the program.
I did try the search in safe mode and it works (only in safe mode)?
Both installs required the xp disk and took 30 sec each again with no promts etc. is that the norm?
Thanks for tryin though, am a noob with cpu's and really dont know what to do! Any more ideas what I could try? :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Could you run and attach a hijacthis log to your next post...ATTACH, not post

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Have run hijack and attached the log, anygood?
Attached File  hijackthis.txt   8.29KB   160 downloads

Edited by madalchemist, 02 February 2006 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
where? Am i missing something?

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry, done it properly now.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is not a hijackthis log

please download hijackthis from my signature and run it, save a log (as text) and attach it

madalchemist

madalchemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorrry bout that have got the log now.
Attached File  hijackthis.txt   8.29KB   165 downloads

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, crap...(i'm saying that a lot today)

Feel free to select the entries with (FILE MISSING) at the end...they're just old entries...this will not fix your problem, but it will makes things more tidy. I do not see anything that could be causing though I have no clue what FreelineSchedule.exe is...

Let's try something, right click MY COMPUTER, choose SEARCH...does search lock up here? Trying to isolate this problem....