Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CDROM drives not accessible, drives not ready.

• Please log in to reply

kes4565

kes4565

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,
Can anybody help me with this? I am running Windows98 on a Hewlett Packard computer, i bought this computer secondhand and the previous owner assures me that when he sent the computer to me, everything was working correctly. I am inclined to believe him for now. The problem is this: the computer has 2 cdrom drives and a floppy drive, when i click on the drives in my computer, they come back with the following message "drive is not accessible, drive is not ready", i only found this out because when i tried to load a program from cd, nothing happened. The drive lights come on, and i have checked all the cables are connected correctly. Have checked the bios and they seem to be set up ok. I have trawled the internet for an answer to this problem, but everything i have tried does not work.
Has anybody got any ideas, as this problem is driving me round the bend. :tazz: Thanks.

Edited by kes4565, 31 January 2006 - 03:37 PM.

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
First of all, are you running on Xp or Win98? Your profile says xp and you're posting in the 98 section. Anyway, are you sure the IDE cable is connected right? it's not backwards? furthermore, go into your Device manager and see if the cd-rom is registered as functioning, or if it has a ! or ? next to it.

Start with that, let me know where it gets you

kes4565

kes4565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Babytech,
Thanks for answering. My main computer is running XP. The computer i need help with is running Windows98. The IDE cables are all set up correctly. Had a look in the device manager and it says this device is working properly. Both drives have a ! by them, so do the cdrom controllers. :tazz: Thanks for your help.
Kes.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Then your drive is not being recognized...try removing the drivers for the CD-rom controllers in device manager, then go to the add new hardware section of control panel. Being that it's an IDE drive, use the wizard (even though it's in that evil Win98 wizard), and reinstall the drivers.

Reboot your system as asked, see if that works.

kes4565

kes4565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Babytech,
Have done everything you said, nothing happens. The trouble is i can not see the drives anymore in "my computer". I could yesterday. In device manager i can see what appears to be cdrom controllers with a ! next to them and looking further down i seem to have yellow ! everywhere. :) :tazz:
Kes.

kes4565

kes4565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Babytech,
Sorry to have put that last bit in, i realise it may put you off the subject. To be honest with you, i think a complete reinstall of Windows98 would probably be the answer. The only things wrong with that solution though is the fact, that the drives don`t work and i have not got a copy of Windows98 even if they did. Thanks for your help anyway. :tazz:
Kes.

Edited by kes4565, 01 February 2006 - 12:09 PM.

kes4565

kes4565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok,
Is there anybody who can help with my original post? Have sorted out the other problems and can now see my drives again in "my computer". I have removed the drivers and then reinstalled them, but when i click on the drives, i just get the same reply, "drive not accessible, drive is not ready".

:tazz:
Any ideas, anyone?

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
out of curiosity, do you have an extra cd-rom drive you can test it with?

kes4565

kes4565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Babytech, yes there are 2 cd rom drives, but for some strange reason they are now both working and loading programs. Even so, if i click on the drives in "my computer" they still give me the same answer "drives not accessible, etc", but they are working correctly now or appear to be. :) Of course, i realise that this is not very helpful for anyone who has the same problem, but what i kept doing was removing the devices in device manager, and then unplugging the ide cables and then plugging them back in, then rebooting and reinstalling the drivers. I noticed there were 5 or 6 different drivers, so i just kept trying them all until eventually i must have got them right, because as i say they appear to be working fine now. Thanks for your help and interest anyway. :tazz:
Kes.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
just curious, but you said you were unplugging the ide cables then rebooting...please tell me you were unplugged on power when doing this.

kes4565

kes4565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Babytech,
Yes, of course, there was no power going into the computer when i was unplugging the ide cables. Sorry, i should have pointed that out in case someone got the wrong idea.

FOR ANYONE WHO IS UNSURE: NEVER TAKE THE CASE OFF YOUR COMPUTER OR MESS ABOUT INSIDE IT UNLESS YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED THE COMPUTER FROM THE MAINS SUPPLY FIRST!!!!!!!!

Hope this clears that point up.
Thanks for reminding me.
Kes.

Edited by kes4565, 03 February 2006 - 12:58 PM.