Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2.5 External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HP and ION can't come up with an answer-this is the problem: I took the good 2.5 HD out of my HP Laptop, because the "motherboard" went out (Windows XP). I bought an Ion external case for the 2.5 HD (USB 2) and plugged it in to my media center Desk Top PC. The external HD shows up under HARDWARE and it comes up "healthy, etc, but it will not show up under MY COMPUTER. I can't FORMAT the external drive, because I will loose all the info (pics, etc) on it. If I change the PINS to SLAVE on the 2.5 HD it does not show up even in HARDWARE or diskmgmt.msc. Am I trying to do something that is impossible-does anynone have an idea? I did have Norton (2004) software on the LT, could that have anything to do with the problem?

When I use diskmgmt my 250 HD comes up as drive C & D but the External Drive shows up with no letter attached and it does not allow me to give it a letter. Thanks in advance to anyone with an idea, Joe

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Typical reasons for not showing in My Computer include no drive being present, an unpartioned/unformatted drive or a drive in some obscure state that Windows can see, will play with happily but doesn't know whether to let you play with it.

If you had Norton Goback on the 2.5" disk, its not uncommon that this useless piece of software gets in the way of trying to get to the data on it.

http://www.sysopt.co...threadid=188804 might be of use if you did have Goback on that drive.

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have a somewhat similar problem.
A 2.5" notebook HD (60 Gb) where the OS one day said "cannot find the product key".
So no access after Admin or User login.
It was divided in two parts C and E.
So I thought I put it in an external USB case. Put back my original HD (20 Gb) with OS in my notebook and tried to access the data on the C and the E of the 60 Gb. I set the switch to "slave".
I can't see the external HD (60 Gb) nowhere. I changed 3 times from USB case, nothing helped. Allthough other HD's work well when connected to the USB ports.
The light on the external 2.5" case lights up that's all.