Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

*.cab file error

• Please log in to reply

LthrnckPA

LthrnckPA

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
First of all, GREAT GROUP!! I have gotten meaningful malware assistance here twice already. (Not for my own protected computer though.)

OK, the boot sector in my old 40G HD went belly up. I installed a new 160G HD without any troubles. First order of business DL ZoneAlarm, AntiVir, SpyBot, and Ad-Aware. All accomplished without difficulty.

Now I'm trying to install Corel WordPerfect 11 and Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0. But they won't go. They start to load up fine. Then I get the following error message:

"Error 1335 - The cabinet file 'data1.cab' (for WP11) or 'Data.Cab' (for Roxio) required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with the package."

My choices are Abort, Retry, or Ignore. Abort unloads everything (which I thought was pretty neat the first time I saw it). Retry simply repeats the same error message. Ignore gets me this message, "Internal Error 2350". Click OK, and everything unloads (it's not neat anymore).

I know these disks were ok less than a year ago when I first installed them on the old HD. And I haven't used them anywhere else, they've just been sitting in my CD safe. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are these OEM cd's ? as in..the software came preinstalled on the computer...but they were nice enough to give you the disks?

LthrnckPA

LthrnckPA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
The Corel WP11 is a work copy. Our IT explained it as we have a "government license" and I am allowed to use it at home since I do a lot of work at home. All it asks for at startup is the serial number.

The Roxio is what you described. It was loaded when I got the computer and the CD's were in the box as well.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Assuming the disks aren't physically scratched, this could be caused by a faulty drive, faulty hardware (memory, most often) or some obscure conflict with something else on the system.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
some times....OEM software requires there to be an original .cab file left on the system for it to be able to identify the install as valid as oem software is directly tied to one machine...which means...change the drive...change the os...change the install stuff for the oem...wich could cause the error here...not 100% sure that htis is the case...but it seems likely since they seem to be good disks..and there should be nothing conflicting with the install in that way

LthrnckPA

LthrnckPA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
OK, so how about this? What if I search for all the data.cab files on the hard drive and then delete them? would it write clean copy then?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..since this is the first install on this drive...they wouldn't (or at least shouldnt) already be there...

LthrnckPA

LthrnckPA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
It is the first install to that drive, and they've never gotten past this error, so I don't think they are on there. But there are a whole BUNCH of data.cab files on the drive according to the SEARCH feature. Unfortunately they are all identified by strings of numbers instead of titles of programs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...pretty much every program installed comes with it's own data.cab...sooo those are almost deffinitley not the right one