Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound no volume icon cant click multimedia properties

• Please log in to reply

omegjs

omegjs

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello,

Not sure when it happened, but I have no volume on my computer. I have checked the speakers and they are fine. I have no volume icon on the taskbar (that would have been the first thing I checked). I have gone to Control Panel, multimedia properties and the place to check to show volume icon on taskbar is checked, but grayed out. I am not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Geeks to Go are the best! Y'all helped me out when I got a virus on my computer and did an outstanding job!

Thanks,
omegajs

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click my computer, click properties then device manager then click the + next to sounds

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have done that many times since this problem reared its ugly head to no avail. You come on and tell me to do that and this time there is a big yellow question mark there. I click on it an it ask me to update my driver (which I thought was the problem, but wasn't getting fixed right). I update and presto it is fixed. You must have powers beyond what you are even aware of! Thank you for reminding me to look at it again. :tazz: Have a great day and as I said Geeks to Go is the BEST!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
This problem has appeared again and I cannot get it fixed.
This seems to happen everytime I run my anti-virus check, but most times int the past I have been able to retrieve the sound. The same steps are not working this time. Any help?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi omegjs...

Open Control Panel and double click on the "Sounds" icon. What is listed in the "Schemes" menu box?

wannabe1

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Windows default and I cannot preview any of the sounds.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Everest, install it, and run it on your machine. Save a report to the desktop as a HTML file (default). Attach this report to an e-mail to me. I will PM you with my e-mail address.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
When you say run it do you mean the report wizard? And if you do mean that do you want me to run the report for all pages?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...on both counts. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you disabled the onboard sound device so that it doesn't conflict with the Yamaha PCI Sound card?

Have you installed the latest drivers for the Yamaha card?

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
How do I do the first one...and I don't know on the second. I don't even know if the Yamaha thing is what I need and if it is...I am not sure which driver I need...I have a CD and here is a print screen of what it shows I can load. I don't know if it will help you any...but there it is. :whistling:

Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager, expand the Audio Devices, right click on each device listed, choose "Properties", and post that information here for me.

We need to determing what's on the machine, which you need to be using, and which must be disabled. :whistling:

The X-Wave drivers don't really give me much to go on. Did the disk come with the computer or with an add-on audio card?

Edited by wannabe1, 22 April 2006 - 04:03 PM.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't see audio devices...I do see Sound, video and game controllers. When I expand that I see an icon indented underneath with no words attached to it.

General Properties says:

Device type: Sound, video, and game controllers
Manufacturer: None specified
Hardware version: Not available
Device status: This device is working properly. (I beg to differ!)
Under Device usage: neither box is checked

Driver properties says:

Provider: Blank
Date: Blank

No driver files are required to have been loaded for this device. To update the driver files for this device, click Update Driver.

I bought this computer second hand, but I think the sound card was added right before I got it.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Oh and that was all that was under the sound category. I can put a screen shot up if you would like me to.