Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound no volume icon cant click multimedia properties

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, for some reason the e-mail notifications aren't working. :whistling:

Your sound controllers probably ARE working properly, but your sound card has not been installed. We'll need to install it.

The Everest report indicates you have a Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio card installed. You'll need to download the drivers for it...they will be found HERE. Get the download for Windows 95/98*Guest and save it to your desktop. Double click the downloaded file to start the installation. I haven't used these particular Yamaha drivers, but usually just running the driver install will install the device. You will have to restart the machine once the installation is finished.

Let me know how this goes.

wannabe1

Advertisements

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I did what you said and there was no change.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on Add New Hardware. Run the Wizard and see if that will install the Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio card. If it asks dor drivers, let it search the machine for them. If you have problems, post back and I'll see if I can help you get it installed.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok I was able to follow your directions and nothing. It said it added it, but if it did it was the fastest loading I have ever seen and it did not ask me for drivers. I still have no sound.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it show in Device Manager?

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It shows the same as it did before. Only an icon with no words.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How are you about being inside the machine? Sometimes moving the card to a different PCI slot will help the computer "see" the card.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I will give that a try...but the computer has seen it before...this is not a new card. It was working just fine until I ran my anti-virus software. Do you still recommend that I try this? Also if I do try this, I just want to make sure, it is the one where the speakers plug in correct? I will not be able to do this until much later tonight or at the latest Thursday night. So if you don't hear from me that is why.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've had network cards "disappear" like that and switching PCI slots got them going again. Yes' it's the one the speakers plug in to.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
No change.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control panel. Double click on the "Multi Media" icon. Under the "Audio" tab, in the "Playback" section, make sure that your sound device is selected as the preferred playback device (if the Yamaha device is not in the drop down, select "Use any available device"). Put a tick in the box at the bottom of the window to "Show volume control on the taskbar". Click "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Sound?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 April 2006 - 08:39 PM.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The multimedia stuff is all greyed out...but it does say no playback devices...not that i can do anything about it! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do a search for system.ini

Right click on it in the search results window and choose "Copy". "Paste" this to your "My Documents" folder. Double click on the file, it should open in Notepad. Copy/Paste evereything under the [Boot] section here for me.

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
You are not going to believe this...I have sound. I turned off the computer after I posted last and came back now....turned it on and it found new hardware...installed it and presto...I have sound! I am chosing not to question it...but I would like to know what I can do to keep it from happening again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's Great! :whistling:

Some machines just seem to be a bit slow at detecting the hardware after switching slots. Just why that is, I really don't know. I had an old HP machine that just wouldn't find a video card I installed, then just when I was going to pull it out and replace it, I started the machine and "boink" there it was... :blink:

I think that being it has reinstalled and is working, you should be alright. When working with Windows, there are no sure bets! :help:

wannabe1