Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

MikeJones

MikeJones

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Guys I was wondering if u could help me out with my graphics card problem.

My GeForce MX 400 graphics card isnt working properly.Whenever i put it in so that i can install it,it doesnt let me load up windows so I can install the drivers.I've tried to go into safe mode but for some reason it doesn't let me.I really need help..

I have a amd anthlon pocessor with 368 mb of ram,and my current graphics card is a 16 byte S3 graphics card.

PLZ HELP!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by it won't let you go into safe mode?
does the computer boot at all?
do you get any beeps?
can you get into bios?
do you have an onboard video card?

MikeJones

MikeJones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes it boots, but it only goes till the screen that shows all the folders/programs that u can go to in safe mode,but then it just freezes(sorry im new at this),no i dont hear any noises,and how do i go to bios?

MikeJones

MikeJones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
How would i go about fixing this problem?I would love it if u could help me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Mike, perhaps the video card is just bad....why do you think otherwise?

If you cannot get it to use safe mode, when it is using standard vga drivers that every card since 1997 should use, it may very well be a bad videocard

smm_hitman

smm_hitman

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Did you remove your previous driver?
Go in your Display properties, click settings tab, go into advance, and click adapter. There should be an option to uninstall driver. Then when your done that restart computer put in the new video card and install the new drivers by using a cd or by going to the manufactures website.

MikeJones

MikeJones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes i have removed the previous drivers but it still doesnt work,my graphics card is compatible with my pc though,I had previously installed it but it would just lag then my screen would go black,I don't hink i did anything though so i dont know why its not even letting me go into windows let alone safe mode..

smm_hitman

smm_hitman

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The only thing that comes to my mind that your motherboard doesn't support AGP 4x or AGP 8x. I have no clue what it could be.

Edited by smm_hitman, 31 January 2006 - 06:54 PM.

MikeJones

MikeJones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The thing is that before i had put in memory in my comp i had tried to install it,and it was letting me go into safe mode and windows but when i would go into windows my comp would freeze,but i was able to go to safe mode,i changed the hardware acceleration setting but thats about i,I dont know y it wouldnt let me go to safe mode....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you installed ram as well as a new grphx card?

MikeJones

MikeJones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes i installed ram too..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Mike, perhaps the video card is just bad....why do you think otherwise?

If you cannot get it to use safe mode, when it is using standard vga drivers that every card since 1997 should use, it may very well be a bad videocard

:tazz:

Seriously, though, put the card in another machine....does it function there?

What are the power supplies in each machine.

I have had cards appear to work flawlessly only to turn out to be bad. I replaced every single piece of hardware in a machine that was locking up without cause, and when I removed the videocard, all the problems went away

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....i would try taking that new ram out...give us all the specs on the mobo and ram that you can