Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2000. Lost all emails/history

• Please log in to reply

usdnundr

usdnundr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A co-worker got an error message (which he didn't write down) on Outlook 2000 startup a couple of days ago. When outlook opened, he had an empty inbox, sent, and deleted folder, etc. Address book was also empty. He is running Windows XP.

My question is twofold. How could this happen and what can be done to fix this problem. I can find no .pst or .dbx files on the system (I also can't find these files on my system which is similar in configuration). Should he have these files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

usdnundr

usdnundr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Found .pst file and tried to run the inbox repair tool from Outlook. It keeps locking up at the same point and not repairing t file. Any help is appreciated.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Backing up just a bit and trying to get a feel of exactly where you're at:

Outlook 2000 is opening, yes? No hesitations or unusal hard drive sounds?

You said you found the .pst file? What specific folder was it in on your system?

If OUTLOOK opens normally, when you click on FILE, then FOLDER, then PROPERTIES what does it say?

When you click on OPTIONS, then OTHER, then ADVANCED OPTIONS, what is listed as the Startup Folder?

On the OUTLOOK opening screen, there's a line that says CUSTOMIZE OUTLOOK TODAY... When you click on that line, does anything happen? If so, what?

Back to you....

usdnundr

usdnundr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, not being an outlook expert, it took a while to get to the bottom of the problem It appears the .pst file exceeded 2gb which, as many know, causes a major error.

The problem is still not solved, but making progress. We ran the microsoft file to truncate the .pst file. However, we still can't get the file to open in Outlook. We ran the .pst fix tool and it keeps locking up.

Getting closer to a solution, but still not quite there. Any recommendations are appreciated.