Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply

ohhbob

ohhbob

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Help...What did I dooooo?
In attempting to install a new EVGA GeForce 64Mb PCI card in my 8775c Pavilion (running WinXP) with onboard Nvidia Vanta graphics, I disabled the Nvidia driver under device manager & then installed the card. Upon restarting, I couldn't get the new card to work (black screen) and then removed it and tried to go back the way is was. Now the original Nvidia won't work ( more black screen). I tried resetting the BIOS to original settings, & booting in Safe mode, VGA enabled mode, and last known good settings won't work either. Is the driver still disabled? How can I enable it if the monitor's not working? Any ideas? Or better yet, how can I get the new card to work?
Thanks in advance...
Ohhbob

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I did something like this for a buddy. We couldn't get the card working and we had that black screen. I plugged in the onboard graphics and went into the BIOS (del before windows starts its inital load). I found a setting somewhere in the graphics menu that was set on AGP or something like that. All I did is change it to PCI and it worked afterwards. This was fairly a long time ago so I don't remember much but this is basically what I did.

ohhbob

ohhbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think by resetting the BIOS it changed to PCI. It still didn't work. FYI...the system is starting up as I can shut down by using the keyboard commands: Win key - u - u. Could Windows heal itself if I start her up & shut down without the monitor plugged in, then start her up again and let the plug-n-play function install the proper driver? Or else, would it be possible to edit the win.ini or sys.ini at the command prompt? My dos is really basic, so I would need some help.
ohhbob