Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade to XP from win98

• Please log in to reply

Mammal

Mammal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Please could you help, I installed Xp over Win 98 with no problems,but when I wanted to run Backup to restore all lost data there was no way I could read the qic, file. so I reinstalled Win 98 to copy the qic file to disc.and that is when my probs. started.I now had both XP and 98 competing with each other. I deleted the Win98 file but at boot up I still get a request as to which system should start,XP will start but Win98 can't because there are some missing files, What a mess, could you please help me clean this up. :tazz:

Advertisements

Mammal

Mammal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
can no one help on this problem, or perhapse even make a suggestion? My PC is running fine except for the boot up, as I said I get the option of starting either in XP or 98, How can I delete the Win 98 option? Pleeese help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Mammal...

Click Start, then Control Panel, and double-click on the System icon. Click on the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. From the drop down menu, select the operating system you wish to start when you boot, uncheck the box next to "Time to display list of operating systems:" and click "Ok". Exit all open windows and reboot.

Did this solve the problem?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 February 2006 - 11:21 PM.

Mammal

Mammal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Bingo, Thanks for that, its amazing how easy it is when you know what you are doing. Will this clear my comp. from all Win 98 files?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad that worked for you... :tazz:

This doesn't remove all the Win98 files, but many of them appear to have been deleted outright or have been overwritten by XP. The only way I know of to truly remove ALL the 98 files would be to format and do a clean install of XP. One could also edit the boot.ini file to not load Win98, but selecting XP as the default system will serve the same purpose...

You should be good to go!

wannabe1