Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Networking 2 PCs, one wired, one wireless

• Please log in to reply

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
:tazz:
It's safe to say that I am a networking newb. I just need a little assistance.

I have 2 laptops, and a linksys router, I also have McCafee Security Suite loaded on both (Windows Firewall is disabled). One is hooked up via ethernet, the other wireless card. I cannot seem to get them to communicate fully. They are in the same workgroup, and I can ping the machines. I've checked all of the subnet, DNS, gateway settings and all that jazz, they are the same. But I cannot see the wired computer from the wireless one, and I cannot get anything working like sharing music in itunes, and I can't see my printer that is connected to the wired computer. When I try to access the wireless computer from the wired one, it brings up the guess logon and I enter the password, it let's me in, but then when I try to access the shared folders, it says I do not have access to them.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. My goal is to be able to access my wired laptop and all the media stored on my external, and the printer from the wireless laptop. And this might be stretching it, but i would REALLY like it, if I could remote desktop into the wired laptop in my home from elsewhere.

Thanks guys

Short Update:
When I try to share the printer connected to the wired computer, I click Apply => Ok, and then when I open up properties again, the printer is selected as not shared.

Edited by Meetloaf13, 31 January 2006 - 10:27 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you enabled file and printer sharing on both computers?