Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with word, hotmail, internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

saygoodnight

saygoodnight

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, so I'm not really sure where to start. I know a little about computers, but not a lot so please bear with me. My parents' computer has had a LOT of problems lately, I'm not really sure where to even begin. One day Internet Explorer just stopped working. The computer would be connected to the internet, but internet explorer would not open any pages. My brother fixed this somehow by creating a new connection, but I'm still not sure what the original problem was. After that, some of the programs on our computer stopped working. Microsoft Word will not open most of the time, and neither will Outlook Express. Or they will start to open, and then will freeze up while loading, leaving a box in the middle of the screen where it looks like it's loading but it won't do anything. When that happens I can't reboot the computer or exit the program, I just have to turn the computer off and restart it. Also, hotmail will no longer work. When you try to load the page, it comes up with an error (I'm not exactly sure what because I'm not on that computer right now, but I can check and get back to you). I know that none of this is very detailed, but I don't know what else to do or who else to ask for help. We have Norton, but it hasn't come up with anything. Also, we have a dial-up connection which makes it hard to download any other free spyware removal programs. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton, click options, misc options and remove the tick for the Office plug in

The error message(s) will help

saygoodnight

saygoodnight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Word is working fine now, thanks for the advice!

and I was wrong, my mom doesn't use hotmail she uses bellsouth. She can check it if she gets online and goes to their website, but it doesn't work when she tries through outlook express. This is the message that comes up:

"Your POP3 server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond?
Account: mail.bellsouth.net
Server: mail.bellsouth.net"

The server never does respond though, it just always says "connecting".

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the server require authentication

Open OE then click tools, accounts, mail, click properties for the account, click servers, tick my server requires authentication, click apply, close OE

Open OE then click send / receive

saygoodnight

saygoodnight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried that but it still doesn't work. This error comes up:

"A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19"

Do you think it could have something to do with the fact that Internet Explorer wasn't working for a while and we had to create a new connection?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i could be wrong..but that account should be her username...not belsouth.net...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you fancy giving this a go

http://help.bellsout.....sprt_ctattr=0

If not post back

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

i could be wrong..but that account should be her username...not belsouth.net...

no, account name is just what outlook express names an account..it's got nothing to do with the log in process

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://help.bellsout.....-e36f443f1be5 <--is your OE set up like this?