Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 9100 help

• Please log in to reply

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello i was wondering if someone here knew the problem to this..

My friend has a dell dimension 9100..its running at 3.2ghz pentium d (dont know if dual core but highley dought it) anyways he had a bunch of viruses on his computer and one day it just stoped booting..i think a virus got into the boot sector..neways i had the same problem a few months ago and i just D-banned the H/d and it worked fine..i did the same to his H/d and it works perfectly fine on my computer no viruses nothing..when i put it back into his computer we turn it on get into bios it recognizes it.we were happy but then after we started putting winodws xp on it it says "hard drive cannot be found, try to see if the conncetions are hooked up properly and blah blah blah" i checked everythings fine bios still detects it dont know whats going on. Maybe the bios got messed up wit the virus? dont know but would apperciatew some help im getting very frusterated :tazz:

oo and btw the H/D is a Maxtor Maxline III

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The Dell bios probably does not see the right volume ID(information)for the hard drive so it thinks it is not in a Dell computer. Without knowing the original volume ID you cannot change it back to what it was. You might be able to buy a recovery CD from dell to reinstall the OS. Did you reinstall the OS while it was on your computer and not in his computer? That would change all the hardware and volume information so that it does not match up with his computer.

SRX660