Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot access programs through start menu

• Please log in to reply

mdmytryk

mdmytryk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This is kind of an odd problem. I seldom use my "start" button becuase i have shortcuts for most of the progs i need on my desktop. Recently, when i went to start > all programs >..and then slid the cursor over to a program, it doesnt highlight. i cant use the keyboard to select a program either. I can go to start > run or use any of the shortcuts that show up, but when going to the "all pgorgams" tab, nothing will select...

I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you, mike

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do the desktop shortcuts work

mdmytryk

mdmytryk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Left click a desktop shortcut and hold the mouse button down, move the mouse, taking the shortcut with it, hold the mouse over the start button and wait till shows all programmes, hold it over that until it expands the programme list, move it up the list until it is over the programme it applies to then let the button go, when you click the programme there, you should see shortcut 2 so click that and see if it will launch the programme

mdmytryk

mdmytryk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope, doesnt do anything. it adds the shortcut, but it wont allow me to use it. I tried going to properties and switching to the "classic start menu" and that allowed me to scroll through the programs, but when i tried to click on one, the menu disappears.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I think you have a hijacker on your computer. Have you scanned for spyware or Viruses rescently? This problem sounds very familiar.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to any programme in all programmes, right click the shortcut, click properties to see if it set to launch from programme files

[attachment=6315:attachment]