Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get to Task Manager from Ctrl-Alt-Del

• Please log in to reply

Datababe

Datababe

IT Professional

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, this is one for the books. A freind noticed about a week ago that if he hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and selected the Task List button, he gets dropped right back into his desktop (it's basically acting just like the Cancel button). He can, however, get to Task Manager by right clicking on the taskbar and selecting it from there. WEIRD. Has anyone else here ever seen this phenomenon?? The Helpdesk was stumped, and this is certainly a new one on me.

Oh, Win2K, SP4, he's got an IBM Thinkpad T40, and it happens with both the laptops own keyboard and the keyboard hooked to the docking station at the desk, so it's not a keyboard issue. We can't bring up Task Manager with Ctrl Shift Esc, either, but typing taskmgr into Run fires it right up. We're going to hit the machine with Spysweeper tomorrow, but he is running Zone Alarm Pro and as it's a company machine he doesn't clickity-click and download things.

I always get these kinds of cases - I must be a weird magnet.

DB

Advertisements