Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound recording/playing problems..totally stumped

• Please log in to reply

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Alright....try this then. Right click on my computer then go to properties, then click on advanced. Under the first option where it says performance click settings. Under the visual affects tab click in "adjust for best performance" and then it will take all the checks out of the boxes...then click on custom and scroll down to the very last two boxes and put a check in each one. (you don't have to have checks there but most people like it) Then click on the advanced tab at the top. At the bottom where it says virtual memory click the change button. You have a pretty big drive so you have plenty of room for virtual memory I'm guessing. So change it to something like 1500-2000 or 2500 Somewhere in there. IF you have a large amount of RAM then you can make it pretty big. For example....if you have only 256 megs then change it to 750-1500 if you have 512 1000-2000 if a gig or more 1500-2000 or 2500 and it should improve performance quite a bit. Then go to your start menu and click run then type in msconfig and then over on your startup tab at the very right hand side and tell me how many things are checked in there if any.

Advertisements

a-ko

a-ko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i did the first steps and nothing seems to have improved. also i unchecked most of the things in my startup menu that i didnt need, but a few i was unsure on are still checked.

really i think its deeper than all this, my computer was seriously running perfectly up until recently...

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Have you run a system file check yet? That may help alot.

a-ko

a-ko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
forgive my ignorance, but how do i do a system file check? haha

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
With your windows XP CD in hand....go to start-run and type in CMD. When the command window comes up type in "SFC scannow" without the quotes and it will open a progress bar and prompt you for your windows XP CD. It basically searches out and checks for corrupt or missing files and replaces them. Try it...can't possibly hurt anything.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem is almost certainly of a software origin. Download, install and run CCleaner. Run the Cleaner and Issues. This will clean a lot of temporary and other unnecessary files from your computer and will scan the registry for problems. Running may take few minutes if this is the first time that you run it. Run few times until all problems are fixed and all bad files deleted.

If this doesn't help, uninstall your music playing program and check performance. The fact that all your music playing programms perform badly might be related to certain files shared by all of them.