Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

noob to wireless networking

• Please log in to reply

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I would like to have internet access in two areas of my house. The place where I want the best connection is in my office for online gaming purposes. I also want another connection at my wife's computer elsewhere in the house (less than 15 feet away through a wall, but i can't run a cable).

So I've never networked anything but a LAN game with a firewire(?) ethernet cable, I hope someone can answer my questions.

1. What would be the best, most affordable equipment to buy (newegg only, how's this one, it comes with an adapter).

2. How secure can I make it? (basically, can I prevent the neighbor from downloading movies off of my connection)

4. Is the router itself going to lag down my bandwidth/connection?

3. If I'm playing a game online (SplinterCell for instance) and my wife logs onto the internet to check her email or stream a radio station how badly, if at all, will this slow down my connection in the office?

4. My office PC has a TV tuner (Radeon All-in-Wonder x1800XL), can I access that little sweety with the other computer via the wireless router? Or if i'm playing a DVD on the office computer can we view it on the other computer's monitor?

5. Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for all the dumb questions, but like I said, I'm noob to networking... never had a chance to get into it, and if I missed a sticky thread somewhere, I apologize (can you direct me)....

:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
1)i'll let someone else answer that...cuz i'm out of the looop on wireless routers at the m oment

2)you can make it as secure as you like...you can enable wep sercurity or wpa security...wich requires a password to connect...or you can be ubersecure and use mac address filtering which will only allow the computers that y ou put in the list to connect

your first instance of the number 4) by the nature of the process...using a wireless technology is gonna throw a little lag into the system...wireless just doesnt move as fast as copper at the moment..but it's getting there....your best bet here would be to actually hardwire the machien that you want to move the fastest (your office computer) to the r outer with an ethernet connection..and use the other machine wirelessly

3) it will lag because two machines are accessing the same connection..how badly is determined by what is being accessed...so..it's hard to say

the second 4) in theory that may be possible..but i'm gonna go with a probably not..or that if it is..it's gonna gete complicated

5) there's no such thing as a dumb question...well there is...but...not so much in the question itself...but in the wording there of (i.e. "if i have x piece of hardware to connect to y computer, how would i go about setting x up so that y can be able to use it?" is not a stupid question "yo whyz cantz i get this thing workin yo?" is a stupid question)

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
:tazz: Thanks for the info. I planned on hardwiring the office pc and wirelessly connecting the other one. I have a cable connection through bresnan communications. It's not near as fast as a comcast cable connection, from what I've experienced and actually seems a little slow. I'm just curious if she's just simply web browsing in the next room if it will cause a huge noticeable amount of lag when playing multiplayer games.

This is my current average connection ran on a speed test through www.speedtest.bresnan.net

Also, is there any hardware out there that would enable me to watch a DVD on the other computer running from the office computer even if it is hardwired? Thanks for the input and advice oh knowledgeable dsenette, moderator of squishy goodness, of geekstogo! :)

Edited by Fox3inbound, 01 February 2006 - 03:44 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's a pretty slow connection for cable..have you concidered switching?

normal browsing shouldn't slow you down too much

why would you need to play the dvd on the other computer from the office computer?

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I wish I could switch, and the problem is the people who install the cable internet connection told me that the reason my connection isn't what it should be is because my computer is custom built, and he's never had good luck configuring custom built computers. I showed him that I can ping my Ethernet Card and the Modem and there is no lag time/errors. He told me that it was still a hardware issue. Then, he had the nerve to tell me that my connection was super fast because the page-loads on a website he visited came up almost instantly. I tried to explain the whole "temprorary internet files" deal to him, he had no clue. Then I tried to download a file for him to show that the transfer rate was less than par, and he said it was the site's server. I thought it was funny since my buddy with comcast 200 miles away can download with comcast at about 1.5 MB/s. Oh, and then he wanted to argue politics with me to boot. In short, I'd love to switch, but Bresnan is the only thing in this tiny sh**-hole town we live in :tazz: grrrrr.

Sorry for the outburst... hehe

Anyway, the only reason I wanted to see about watching the DVD on the other computer is because the office computer is the one with the TV Tuner and I was just curious, actually, if I could view the TV tuner (not necessarily the DVD) through the connecttion. No big deal, I'm just excited to get into this whole network thing up and working.

P.S. Any Ideas on what I could tell Bresnan when I call and complain about the poor connection, or is there anything I can do, myself to see (or fix) what the problem is?

Thanks dsenette!! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well... you can tell them their tech is an idiot #1... and #2 go here and run a bandwidth test..print that out and show them...

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for the advice. Whe techguy was here I actually showed him the speed test from speakeasy and he told me that it's their server and prefered me to use bresnan's speedtest. So, to please the meat-head I showed him the bresnan speedtest and... oh.. oh... oh my goodness it was basically the same. He then argued that it was my hardware again... pfffft!!! I fart in his general direction. Anyway here are the test results from speakeasy when ran through the dallas server:

Download Speed: 1552 kbps (194 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 232 kbps (29 KB/sec transfer rate)

[size=6]

Thanks for the assistance again, it is much appreciated. Without knowledgeable gurus like you us lesser educated computer geek wanna-be's would be lost forever.

By the way, I like the line in your signature about sending PMs to you... hehe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would think that lline would be effective...but it's not... hehee

the techs will always claim it's someone elses fault...it's how they keep from having to work ....

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
yup, either he had large testicles, or thought i was a dope, because I was in uniform with a taser X26 on my belt along with my side arm,... not to mention all the firearms in my computer room... eh, what are ya gunna do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
god i hope y ou're a cop hahahahah

Advertisements

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am, want a patch? I can mail you one
... hey suppose i had software to control one computer from the other, in theory, wouldn't i be able to watch the TV tuner on my wife's computer?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ayesyoucould hahaha....get realVNC or TightVNC ...that will allow you to do it perfectly...hahaha why didn't i think of that?????!?!?!?

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I should be on staff! hehe, jk Thanks for all your help, and you can email me if you want me to send you a patch from my department edited out email for security reasons (oh and if you can erase my email from this thread when you're done, that would be great)

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
one more thing, would the free version do it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
www.dsenette.geekstogo.com/tools/vnc-4_1_1-x86_win32.exe <---that one will for sure...you install it on both computers...only one needs to have the server installed...but it's ok to put the server on both..if you want to be able to look at both computers from either computer...