Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow webcam?

• Please log in to reply

michael2

michael2

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I set up a webcam (the kind you watch on a webpage) and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, the image refreshes the way it should and I can watch the webcam, but when it doesn't work the cam will refresh a few times at the start and then freeze and stop refreshing. Any idea whats causing it to work sometimes an not work at others? I am using a router, (microsoft mn-500) but I forwarded the ports for webcam xp (which is what I am using), the cam itself is the old version of logitech quickcam express (very old i know).
As a test I tried using my tv tuner as a video source instead of the webcam to see if that would work, and it worked perfectly every time. I also tried using video files stored on my computer as a source, and that worked to.
Do you think if I bought a newer webcam it would work?

Thanks
Michael

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may be that it's an old webcam...or that you just need to get the newest drivers for the one you have...i'd try the drivers first

michael2

michael2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I updated the drivers, but stil have the same problem. A freind of mine has a newer cam, I will borrow t and see i t works.