Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

backing up system--external hard drive or burning dvds?

• Please log in to reply

roger259

roger259

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is it better to buy an external hard drive for $120, western digital, or burn dvd's for backing up our computers files, pictures, and contacts?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would say both....you can archive dvd's alot easier than y ou can hard drives (i.e. stick them in a box in a closet) but the HD is easier (usually) to back up to...they both have failure rates....HD's fail a little less often than optical media...but...when an HD fails....usually the whole thing fails...where as the normal optical media failure is a scratch...which usually allows you to recover some data....for REALLY important stuff do both...if you're not that paranoid..just do one or the other...whichever you feel is easier to back up to and restore from

roger259

roger259

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
any recommendations on a brand name for external hard drive or the proper name of dvd's or cd's--r or rw or rw- or rw+. It's a little confusing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not presonally...i've always liked maxtor for hd's but seagate is usually pretty good..western digitals are good...they're all relatively the same technology...slight differences in quality...

now the cds/dvds....i like memorex (some will disagree)..but brand is usually irrelavent...as long as it's a brand that you know to be good....
the -r +r +-r and rw respectively..is determined by your drive...your drive will have the corresponding +r -r whatever with it...make sure that you get disks that correspond...especially for the dvds...if you get -r disk and you have a +r drive...it won't work..i believe the +-r or rw drives can use either + or - disks... ( I have yet to get a good answer for the diference between +r and -r)

roger259

roger259

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
should i buy cd's or dvd's? i have files, pictures, and contacts

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if you have a dvd burner..you can fit more on dvd's obviously...so that would be the way to go if you have alot of data to backup

roger259

roger259

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
How long will a burned dvd last? and what are the complications with an external hard drive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not really sure on the life of a dvd...but it's counted in years....not much to worry about..because by the time it goes bad because of age (not scratches as that's unpredictable) you will have made another backup for sure.....
the complications with the external drives can include drive failure, incompatability, file corruption, lightning striks...same things as an internal HD