Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't start Word or Excel while connected

• Please log in to reply

malabogjoe

malabogjoe

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I am connected to the internet and try to open a Word or Excel document (Office 2002), the document never opens, all I see is the Word or Excel program GUI. If I close Word or Excel, disconnect from the internet, then try the document again, I get a message that says the document caused a serious error last time, and am I sure I want to open it. When I say yes, it opens OK.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

malabogjoe

malabogjoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't have any errors in System. The only way I am able to kill WINWORD or EXEL is to go to Task Manager and do an "End Process." I just noticed that for everytime I have tried to run Word or Excel, it looks like I have an NAVW32.EXE running as a process. I am looking at 8 of them! Norton strikes again?

malabogjoe

malabogjoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got rid of Norton Internet Security and installed the free anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall that your site suggest, and guess what - the problem goes away! In addition my system is faster!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry that i didn't get back to you...i was assuming that norton was the culprit from your previous post...there was a way to stop norton from scanning the documents...but....i'm sure you'll prefer the stuff that you got instead..