Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 problems with media edition

• Please log in to reply

simeontechie

simeontechie

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
first - and most important:

i did a fresh install lastnight - updated everything - and now, when i doubleclick my teamspeak or try to connect to ventrilo (both 3rd party comm progs), my computer restarts. everything is up to date and i have the proper virsion of TS. i was wondering if, maybe, it's a ram allocation problem... if so, i have no idea how to fix it.

every other sound operation works properly.

second -

i can't get WinTV to play in media center. any ideas?

intel 915GAV (realtek audio)
3.0 P4 socket 775
2 gig corsair ram
radeon x800
160 gig seagate

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do not post duplicate posts for the same issue

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
preciate it - i'll get that after 6 pm central time and make it happen again...

the other posts were because i wasn't sure if this was a windows, application, or hardware problem... wasn't sure if everyone visited every section.

won't happen again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we just trawl around looking through everything (well..m.ost of us.) so if you;re n ot sure...just post once and we'll move it if it's wrong

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
LOL - love the trunk monkeys - i had seen the first one, but those others are all the STUFF!

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok - here we go. hope these show up ok... here are the warnings:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in true MS fashion..that's not so helpful...

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

try that...if the reboot doesn't cause the BSOD...then try opening TeamSpeak and see what happens

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i actually got the BSOD before i did a full reinstall - when the sound first quit working. i've never intentionally caused it, tho... so, beofre i do it (and i know this is one of "those" questions) - if i succeed in creating a BSOD, i can reverse it by undoing the changes i made in safe-mode, right? thus, bringing my PC back to it's "less-broken" state?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you are not creating a blue screen, you are revealing it. The blue screen error is what shows instead of your machine rebooting. So you do not need to undo anything

That said, since you just redid your pc, did you get the latest and greatest drivers for all your hardware....sounds like a bad driver to me, particularly a nic driver

Advertisements

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yeah - pretty sure i got them all updated. updated all realtek sound drivers - went to inte.com and looked up my 915GAV under boards and loaded the relevant updates... updated windows... have directX9c. only thing i haven't updated yet id adobe acrobat reader :/ - anyway - here is my BSOD error information:

ATTEMPT TO EXCUTE NON-EXECUTABLE MEMORY -

MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE/SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED PROPERLY (only "new" hardware is the radeon x800 and it's working fine... not sure if teamspeak is working fine, cause i can't even iopen it...)

IF PROB CONTINUES, DISABLE HW OR SW. DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCJH AS CACHING AND SHADOWING (i have no idea how to do that)

STOP: 0X000000FC (0XAE99D654, 0X3A96963, 0X805502E4, 0X00000000)

BEGINNING DUPM OF PHYS MEM - DUMP COMPLETE.

have at it, men!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
almost deffinitely a driver issue.....
if you can get into safe mode

right click on my computer > manage > device manager....do you see any yellow ? or !

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i meant to mention that - now, i didn't do this in safe mode, but that shouldn't make a difference - under device manager everything is working ok - i had an issue once before with saitek trying to install a component i didn't have and had to go to that area to fix it, so that's one of the first thing i checked.

everything says "working properly" - that's why i'm so ... ugh... had one guy tell me to get rid of media edition...

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i found this possible solution - would you look at it and see if you think it will work for me? thing that gets me is that this seems to focus on probs with DVD's... does it not? well... that's not what's causing my error - my error is happening when i load teamspeak... ugh.

The subject problem will occur if Windows XP (32-bit) is installed on a computer that supports hardware-enforced DEP and you have a legacy hardware DVD decoder that uses the Mpegport.sys driver.
To workaround this problem:

01. Restart your computer.

02. Press F8 to display the Startup menu.

03. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

04. Use Start / Run / Devmgmt.msc / OK to open Device Manager.

05. On the View menu, select Show hidden devices.

06. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

07. Right-click the Mpegport.sys driver and press Properties.

08. Select the Driver tab.

09. Change the Startup Type to Disabled.

10. Press OK.

11. Restart your computer.

To resolve this problem, ask the driver vendor for an updated Mpegport.sys driver.

NOTE: An alternate workaround is to disable DEP by altering the Windows XP SP2 C:\Boot.ini entry to include the /noexecute=alwaysoff switch.

Edited by simeontechie, 02 February 2006 - 10:46 AM.

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok - i tried it for the heck of it... and, well, i don't have this:
07. Right-click the Mpegport.sys driver and press Properties.

08. Select the Driver tab.

09. Change the Startup Type to Disabled

there is no mpegport.sys driver...

i also tried switching the noexecute to alwaysoff and it did nothing.

so... i'm at a standstill.

i double-checked all my drivers and components under the device manager and there are no "!" or "?" -

*begins looking for mind*

i officially have a $1,500 piece of &#*@...

i guess (it hurts to say this) i should have bought a $500 Dell... at least it would run TS.

Edited by simeontechie, 02 February 2006 - 12:45 PM.