Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 problems with media edition

• Please log in to reply

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, ok, ok - found this and realized i may not have "properly" disabled the DEP - would one of you staffers read thru this and assure me it's safe... and maybe tell me what negative results i need to know about?

Method 2: Turn off the DEP feature in Windows XP SP2
If you need the functionality of the incompatible driver, you can turn off the DEP feature. To do this, follow these steps:1. Restart your computer.
2. During the restart process, press F8.

Note On a computer that is configured to start multiple operating systems, press F8 when the Startup menu appears.
3. Use the arrow keys to select a Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
4. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
5. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
bootcfg /raw “/noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect” /id 1
Note If you have multiple start entries or start options, you may have to manually modify the Boot.ini file for your computer. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
b. On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
c. In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, click Edit.
d. Change the /noexecute option to the following:
/noexecute=alwaysoff
e. On the File menu, click Save, and then click Exit.
f. Click OK two times.

6. Restart your computer.

i've been told by a local "techie" that i have an area of my RAM that has been "claimed" perminately by a program or driver... he says i'm having trouble because some other driver or prog is trying to "claim" that same spot. does that sound right?

it didn't sound right to me, because, well, it's not just teamspeak that's doing it. when i try to open ventrilo (same type of program, just different service provider) the same thing happens. - i just though it odd that 2 different progs would render the same results.

i shall wait... oh, and thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well if there were an actual driver conflict...maybe....the instructions you've posted are really refering to a driver that you don't have so those wont work....have we tried uninstalling ts and see if ventrillo works by itself? then reinstall ts and uninstall ventrillo...same thing

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ah - now, that i have not done. guess it's worth a try.

i'll do that tonight... but if anybody else thinks of anything in the next couple hours, let me know.

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ACK! stop the press!

i think... well, i HOPE, i may have stumbled onto a BIOS driver i missed... 3 TIMES!

tell me if you think this bad-boy has anything to do with my woes

2. Express BIOS Update 0478 [EV91510A.86A.0478.EB.EXE] (2119KB) 0478 12/29/2005 Download
Self-extracting file includes Software License Agreement, the utility for updating the flash BIOS, and the BIOS image.

Release Notes (pdf)

OS:OS Independent, Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition

INF: Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility [INF_XP2K_MCE_XP64_7.2.2.1006.EXE] (945KB) 7.2.2.1006 10/18/2005 Download
INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB. (WHQL certified)

Read Me (TXT)

OS:Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition

of course, with my luck, these are nice little updates... but will have no bearing whatsoever on my issue.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
biios update is usually a good idea

the chipset drivers are usually good to update as well...give em a shot!

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
if that fixes it, i will be very happy - and, if so, i am sorry for the waste of time... i really thought i had gotten everything that said XP MEDIA... looked for the 3rd time and found these... have to wait till i get home to do it, tho. - i'll let ya know.

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
oh - and, if the updates don't work - i have a crappy cobra sound card i can try to throw in there... jsut to see what happens. good idea? bad?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
at this point...anything is worth a shot

simeontechie

simeontechie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
situation resolved... here's how:

uninstall BOTH TS and vent. install sound card. remove realtek. install TS and vent.

now it works.

sheesh... that was stressful.

i got a program from a buddy called everest... ever hear of it... is it used for anything besides just an easier way to look at your system?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..everest is a system monitoring tool...it has some other handy stuff other than the hardware list...i think you can monitor temps and whatnot...but..i can't use the free version...because i'm on a domain at work...

Advertisements