Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC ceases to open programs

• Please log in to reply

spindm

spindm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello and thank you for your willingness to help us less than expert computer users. I want to apologize now for the length of my post, but I want to supply as much detail as possible to assist anyone in helping me.

First off I am having problems with my home PC. It is an e-machine T6412 by Gateway. The installed OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 (build 2600), security updates downloaded automatically. 512 MB RAM. My processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64, 256 kilobyte primary memory cache, 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache. My drive: 200.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, 191.31 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space. My Local Drive Volumes: c: (NTFS on drive 0) 195.26 GB 188.40 GB free, d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.77 GB 2.91 GB free. My internet connection is Ethernet DSL/Cable for my local ISP and dail up for AOL using IE 6 for my browser. I utilize Norton SystemWorks 2005, keep it updated regulary, and conduct scans at least weekly. In addition I utilize Zone Alarm Client version 6.1 as my firewall. I also utilize several malware/spyware programs almost daily. They include: XoftSpy Application Version 4, 21, 0, 0, SpyBot-S&D Version 1, 4, 0, 3, SpywareBlaster Version 3.05.0001, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Microsoft Anti-spyware BETA, SpyWare Guard, and AOL Spy Zapper. I also keep them updated regularly.

Some of these programs I began using just a couple weeks ago after experiencing a virus problem. I have resolved those issues through this website's experts and my system is now clean and virus/trojan/malware/spyware free. However, I am experiencing some problems that may be a result of the infections or possibly something else. That is where I hope someone here can help me.

On a daily basis, sometimes 3-4 times a day and almost every morning I have to reboot my computer to get any programs to open. What happens is either after sitting in stand-by for some time or even when using the computer and I close one program to open another, all programs quit responding or open and then hang-up (this is true with desktop icons, Task Manager, etc). When I log off, I get several End Program windows such as ccApp, #3224, #3564, #3936, gcasServ.exe, waol.exe, that I have to click end program on. Then all my desktop icons will go away as if the computer is logging off but it will not proceed any further, leaving my desktop wallpaper open. I then have to turn off the computer with the on/off button and restart it. Everything will then work ok for a while and then I have to repeat the above process after some time.

Another thing is during startup, my startup programs in the task bar take about 2-3 minutes to load. I also get 2 notifications at start up by one of my installed programs ( Iforget which one) that OSA.exe and shdocvw.dll are allowed. Are these ok? Could they be causing the problems?

I hope I have provided enough info, but not too much. Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time, Mike

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, I know you think you're clean, but are we certain that you are?

Canyou reboot into safe mode...does the situation repeat there?

spindm

spindm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry for the delayed response. Between work, working with the malware pro's on this site and checking my system in Safe Mode as you inquired, I am still at a loss as to what is wrong. I have an idea I am suffering from program conflicts. Could it be previous infections have changed something in my registry or has changed path directions? But if this is so, why does everything work fine for a while before it stops?
I am including the link to the malware pro that shows my system is not infected. It does cease to respond even in safe mode.

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=551768

Awaiting your response.

Mike