Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Recomendations

• Please log in to reply

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm a near-broke college-bound highschool senior, with slightly above average computer knowledge. Unfortunatly, I know next to nothing about laptops. I have 1000 bucks to "invest" in a computer, preferably a laptop, (desktops are hard to take notes on in class) and I need some help on what to think about getting.

I like games, not extreeme games like call of duty and all that, more like empire earth, alpha centauri, shogun, starcraft, etc...
I like love music and therefore must have a HDD above 60 gigs. (and an audio card or whatever they call them in laptops).
I burn CDs, (linux OSs, not illegal music)
DVDs too
Oh, internet is a must.
Usb ports
junk like that

is it even possible to get that new under $1000?

thanks, Aerostarlegacy

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
These days with the price of laptops plumeting? Sure. It's possible. Take a look at some of the newer Acer models. I just got my Mom a nice one for $649 with what you need there. If you have a thousand dollars though, their higher end model is $1049 and is a very nice computer. As far as hardware stability goes they are very good, I'm a service tech by trade and I Never see Acer laptops come into the shop. Another brand worth trying out is Toshiba. They seem to be very good. I'd stay as far away from Sony Vaio, and HP or Compaq if I were you. Just speaking from personal experience here, but thats my advice. You can get Acer Laptops imediately too, which is nice. Look at Comp USA for a good price. IF you get their middle of the road type deal I think it's $899 with a one year unlimited warrenty on everything but the screen, and you can get an extended warrenty for another $200 for three years that even covers the screen. Thats where I'd start.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks alot,
I'll check it out right now!

still open to suggestions...

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
You're very Welcome. I like Acer laptops a lot. *laughs* Never had any issues with them like other companies.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The only problem with the Acers and AMDs (which I love) is that there is usually no warranty and little battery life. I wouldn't mind going with a Dell (shudder), if it was good, cheap, 64 bit, and over 2.0 Ghz. College starts for me in only seven short months and I just got a job, and all that good stuff.
HELP ME PLEASE!
thanks,
Aerodude

Edited by aerostarlegacy, 15 February 2006 - 08:58 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....check with the companies before you order...some companies give student discounts if you can prove you're enrolled in college...

i've got an acer here at work (not m ine but another person here at work) and i've got a 3 year warranty on it..from acer

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
yeah, the only problem is that I only have about 1000 to spend on a laptop, including everything. And the extra life batteries and warranty cost extra.
So what would be a good laptop for a good price?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

yeah, the only problem is that I only have about 1000 to spend on a laptop, including everything. And the extra life batteries and warranty cost extra.
So what would be a good laptop for a good price?

The Acer I got came with a two year FULL warrenty inculding the screen, and the extra life battery is only $150 extra dollars...so you're looking at right around $900. Thats within your budget. I got that deal at Comp USA. You might be better off ordering it though....by the way....every computer manufacturer comes with a one year unrestricted warrenty on everything but the screen....including AMD....which is a processor anyway, and is covered under every major warrenty.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
What do y'all think of this one? HP Pavillion zv6130us
Remember, I don't even have that much yet, as I just got a job a few weeks ago.
I thought it was a good deal for what it is.
I also was told that I could wait untill dell has a big sale, and then get one.

ARGH!
I hate making decisions
Aerodude out

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
looks okish i would look around but i would wait until just before you go before you get one, also DO NOT take notes using a laptop, its A stupid they go mutch faster than you can type and B you cannot draw diagrams use shorthand and easily use special symbols which they will use. And as an added point you will look like an utter muppet, there is one guy in my lectures that uses his laptop he doesnt take notes because he cant type that fast or draw diagrams quick enough so he plays skating games instead.

Dell laptops arent to bad, kinda poor for games if the have the intel integrated but alot use the better ATI chips. Also all laptops will have a rubbish battery life if you dont get a good battery not matter what its configuration and make, try and get one with a gigabyte of ram, cpu wise your wanting to get either an Turion from AMD or a duo from intel.

SuperTrooper317

SuperTrooper317

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Aerostarlegacy, Dell has really good tech support, but I like Acer too. Try www.tigerdirect.com
They had really good prices on their laptops (Acer) in their last catalog. They are also great to buy from.

Also as far as taking notes in class. Get a digital recorder that has a USB link. Quick, easy, and if you fall asleep, you don't miss anything.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
what do y'all think of used and older laptops, like Win98 old?
I might have the opportunity to get one free, should i do that?
Thanks,
kevdog

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
What about this one?
http://www.avadirect...r.asp?PRID=6131

I configured it to have a 2.2 Turion with 1 MB L2 cache 25W, an 80 GB HDD, 512(x1) MB ram, and wireless. no OS, i think i'll go linux.
All that extra stuff only brings it up to $1014.25! Is it a good deal? I thought it was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Aerodude

Edited by aerostarlegacy, 25 March 2006 - 08:37 PM.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
bump
:whistling: