Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access permission error

• Please log in to reply

James0001

James0001

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi. I have recently loaded Grisoft AVG anti virus free programme and after loading it, or tying to I get an error message

"windows cannot access the specified device,path or file you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

this happens when I start almost any programme, I cannot even restore the computer.

I get a horrible feeling I will have to re install the operating system.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you tried add/remove avg from control panel?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Don't dispair just yet man. You can reset the permissions using this tool.

http://djlizard.net/...Permissions.exe

DL it and then it and save it somewhere you can find it like the desktop. Double click on the icon that appears and then click run. In the self extract screen, again save it to a location you can find and click extract. It will extract three files. One of the files is called !Runme or !RUNME.BAT Double click that and let it run all the way through. It will take quite some time so be patient.

WARNING: Be advised that the !RUNME fix is very intensive and will bog your system considerably. So it's best to click it and leave it alone until it's done. Don't worry. It won't hurt anything if you run it on a system that doesn't need it. All it does is return your permissions to default (which is what most systems are set to anyway)

NOTE: If you are unable to open .bat files because of file association problems, tap F8 while booting the computer, select "Safe Mode with command prompt" and navigate to and run the batch file from the command prompt.

If this doesn't work let me know what errors you get and I'll try and help. I know it's hard, but do be patient, the fix can take a while.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I completely misread your post...you have not installed AVG then?

James0001

James0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Cheers I will give it ago.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Let me know how it turns out.

James0001

James0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I will try it out when I get home tonight. Not sure if it will work because I get that message when I try and run any programme! So not sure if I have seriously screwed my machine up!! I will see if it works in safe mode. I will back up all my pictures first though.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The fix is safe. It's not going to corrupt your system or anything like that. And it's designed for situations just like this when your permissions are screwed up to the point where nothing works. It literally resets Every microsoft permission on your computer.

James0001

James0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
how do i run the programme when in safe mode and were should it be saved?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
You should save it to the desktop because thats the easiest place to find it. IF you just start your system in safe mode and double click on it then it should just run. IF you experience anny windows errors or it doesn't work, then let me know. You shouldn't need to run the thing in safe mode but if you want too you can....it should run normally though. But occasionally...there is an association error that causes it to not run correctly. If you get that error....I'll walk you through finding and running it in the command line.

Advertisements

James0001

James0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have run the programme but it hasn't fixed the problem. Sould I go back into safe mode and remove avg file?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yeah. Try that. Then try running the thing again and seeing if it works then. I have one other permissions fix but we don't need to get ahead of ourselves. There's always ways to fix things.

James0001

James0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
tried to delete a couple of programs, trend micro pc cillin and avg but it wont let me, i am doing this in safe mode using the task manager and right clicking on the file and hitting delete.

i have gone onto djlizard and see a file for reset associations.exe

thanks for you help

James0001

James0001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for your help, after running both programmes nothing happened. I was playing around in the control panel and it let enter the help page(couldn't enter that before) and then I seemed to be able to restore the PC. My PC now works well. My wife said their IT guy said XP often takes a little while to set itself up after changes. God only knows!!! It's a computer after all!!

I have another problem which I have had on and off for a year or so, on start up, especially if the computer has been off over night takes up to 8 times switching on and off until it boots up. You can hear the fans come on but the screen stays on standby saying no signal.

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks again mate

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
power supply needs replacing for that last one.

Power supplies supply 3 voltages--12,5,3.3

Often, one or two voltage regulators will continue functioning while a second or third will die, or start to die, causing this issue--or your power supply is under powered.

Did you add anything when this began?