Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rmdir /S /Q C: - How do I reverse the effets

• Please log in to reply

Adzi

Adzi

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I thought I could trust this guy. I asked how to set shared files on Hamachi, and he said Run CMD and rmdir /S /Q C:

So now I'm writhing in anger at the effect, is there anyway to reverse the damage done?

Help is much appreciated :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
holy crap...you erased your harddrive....

Well, can you just repair this system and hope it will run? I doubt it. Can you recover your data files...probably...but it will be a major freaking job

http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.html

You need to pull your harddrive, put it in a second machine, and then run any of the above programs on it.

The problem is that you cannot simply recreate the folder structure and expect it work and undelete does not always recover folders. I'd grab the guy who gave you the helpful device and set his fanny down and get him to work...and then I'd erase his harddrive and kick his butt out the door.

Adzi

Adzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I am seriously pi**ed off at this guy. My fault for trusting him :tazz: but why did it only delete 10gbs of stuff? Most of my documents are still there (except music) and all of my programs and games are still installed....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
to answer that, I would need to know what it did, and did not delete.

Lack of permissions? Read only files?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Another Hard Drive? Sperate partitions?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm surprized that is even possible to execute. Then again, you can run format c: directly from the windows command prompt :tazz:

( Well, that's what a friend said. She's not sure what she did, but her C: drive was formatted from the command promt while in windows )

--> Tried running rmdir /s /q c: on a virtual machine, and it wont run cause i got processes locking the drive.

I don't understand how this happened to you.

Azdi, do you have any other drive letters, like D: or E: or F: that were listed below the C: in my computer?

Edited by Vaillant, 01 February 2006 - 10:46 PM.

Adzi

Adzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I have full admin access, but it did flash up that filename.extension couldn't be removed...

I don't understand how this happened to you.

Azdi, do you have any other drive letters, like D: or E: or F: that were listed below the C: in my computer?

I have various HD problems and no time to really sort it. The git who told me the comand kind of did me a favour, I'm going to reformat and clear the junk off my pc. But basically there are about 20 or 30 MFT 112xx containing my music.... is there anyway to recover this?