Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing BIOS

• Please log in to reply

bigfastf150

bigfastf150

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I bought some new memory for my laptop and installed it. The system POSTs and the machine recognizes the memory then I get to a boot menu telling me Windows needs to start in safe mode (or something to that affect). I boot the machine into safe mode and then crash recovery tells me that I need a BIOS update.

So, I'm familiar with the concept but the BIOS update has files to it and no instructions. If anyone has any generic instructions, can you send 'em my way? To further my issues, the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive (which I was told I needed for the update). Can I use a USB floppy drive because I have one I can borrow at work. I also know that if something updates the BIOS update my lappy will be a paperweight can anyone give me some advice on what to do so my lappy isnt a brick when I try this?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Adding more memory shouldn't need a BIOS update.

It may well be that the new memory is actually bad and Windows has loaded a part of itself into a bad section of memory on the new module and of course it won't like that.

Download the MemTest86 program from memtest86.com and give it a good workout. If its does turn out to be bad, take it back to where you bought it from.

bigfastf150

bigfastf150

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have memtest86, I didn't think to run it though.

bigfastf150

bigfastf150

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ran memtest86 today on that ram. The test returned a bunch of errors on the ram. This sucks. :tazz: