Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't find three files, command.com, IO.sys, and scandish.exe

• Please log in to reply

yellowbus

yellowbus

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I can't find three files, command.com, IO.sys, and scandish.exe
I need those programs to use Ranish to put it in my boot disk, but i can't find them. they told me to look in c:/windows/command/ folder but it's not there. I looked in c:/windows/system32 but i only found cmd. can you tell me where to look? or if there's another way to make Ranish work..?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It might be more useful if you explained what you are trying to do...Ranish, as in the partition manager?

Unless they've made signficant improvements, Ranish does not support the ntfs file system--I know it was a goal, but support was spotty in betas

command.com is in the c:\windows\system32 directory
io.sys is in c:\root (hidden file)

there is no scandish

scandisk? Scandisk no longer exists in windows xp, and was replaced by chkdsk

yellowbus

yellowbus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, Ranish the partition manager. It says i need those files to put it in a floppy. how do i get into the hidden c:/root file?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
If it's the partition manager program and it doesn't support NTFS just as he said, and it's looking for the scandisk.exe and not scandish then it follows suit in my head that the program you are using isn't meant for windows XP. It's looking for a partition that won't run XP very well, and it's looking for a file that has been replaced. Have you tried partition magic instead? It works very well.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
better still (because it is free), download system rescue cd

http://www.sysresccd.org/

it is a self-bootin linux distro that has partd, a partition magic clone that does support ntfs

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

better still (because it is free), download system rescue cd

http://www.sysresccd.org/

it is a self-bootin linux distro that has partd, a partition magic clone that does support ntfs

Good call. *applauds*

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
*bows*

yellowbus

yellowbus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i tried the Ranish with a dos boot disk, and it worked fine up to the GUI menu- the screen where i get to tweak with the partitions. but once in the menu, i can't use my keyboard- like it's frozen or something. is that because Ranish doesn't support NTFS or is it just my keyboard's fault?