Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Accessing Some Sites (eg Hotmail) on a Shared Computer

• Please log in to reply

Jaxer5

Jaxer5

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 2 user accounts running under Win XP Pro. One is set up as an Administrator, and the other is a "Limited Account". The problem I'm encountering only occurs when someone is logged into the "limited account", and manifests itself when trying to access Hotmail, or run a search under Google.

I have MSN as a homepage, and clicking through on the hotmail "link" has zero effect, as does trying to click through on most of the other MSN "links" on the homepage - I can however click-through on external (eg. advertiser) links, which take me off the MSN site. If I go to hotmail.com directly, then the site does actually load, but when I type my user name/password and press "enter", the screen changes as if it's going into the site, but then "hangs", completely blank, but showing "done" in the toolbar.

Theres a similar non-response on Google, where I can load the site, and enter a search term, but clicking on "Search" has zero effect - there's no response at all.

This is unique to the "limited account" - I don't have any problems when logged in on the Administrator account. I've checked the IE security settings which are identical under both accounts. I'm using Trend Micro Internet Security 14 (2006) with firewall enabled, but again all the settings are the same for both accounts.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

J

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as a quick check, make the limited account a member of the administrator group--does the behavior change?

Jaxer5

Jaxer5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi gerry,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried changing the limited account to adminstrator status, as you suggested, but this hasn't had any impact on the problem.

regards,

J

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\softpub.dll
<enter>

repeat with each of the following
wintrust.dll
initpki.dll
dssenh.dll
rsaenh.dll
gpkcsp.dll
sccbase.dll
slbcsp.dll
mssip32.dll
cryptdlg.dll

Jaxer5

Jaxer5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi Gerry,

Went through all of those (and got "sucessfully updated" messages each time). But it hasn't changed the situation on accessing hotmail/google under the limited account. I've also noticed that, like on the MSN homepage, I can't click through on any of the "Images / Groups / News / Froogle" links on top of the search bar. The only links that seem to work are "More", and the ones below the search bar ( "Advertising / About Google" etc).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
three more to try

start > run, type
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\schannel.dll
<enter>
schannel.dll
rsabase.dll
rsaenh.dll

Jaxer5

Jaxer5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Gerry,

I tried these and got the following messages on the first two:

1) c:\windows\system32\schannel.dll was loaded but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file can not be registered.

2) LoadLibrary("c:\windows\system32\rsabase.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

The third one (rsaenh.dll) updated sucessfully, but hasn't had any impact on the problem.

regards,

J

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Could you go here and run a test...tell me the results

http://www.verisign....isor/check.html

Jaxer5

Jaxer5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Current Browser Version:
Microsoft Internet Explorer MSIE 6.0

Recommendation: No Upgrade Required
Your browser supports strong encryption and contains the recommended level of security.

Secure Browsing Support:
Your browser is capable of securely communicating with web site certificates.

Strong Encryption Support:
Your domestic browser currently supports strong encryption 128-bit SSL sessions.

Digital Certificate Support:
Your browser can utilize personal Digital IDs for secure access control and email.