Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd burner

• Please log in to reply

dena

dena

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all

I have an old CD burner that was working before, adn after some farting around with another drive, I put it back in. I have it as a slave on the Hard Disk cable. It is playing but not writing anymore. It was before, a secondary master when it was working. My main question is, When I was installing another drive, which is out now, I adjusted some setings in the BIOS, namely the auto detect. I may have inadvertantly done something in there in frustration. Do you think that the BIOS settings could have anything to do with the writing of the cd burner. I am running windows XP on a clone machine if that matters.

Thanks Dena

Edited by dena, 01 February 2006 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello Dena and welcome to G2G!

Does the drive actually read CD's?
Does your burning software display any error messages?

dena

dena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Dena and welcome to G2G!

Does the drive actually read CD's?
Does your burning software display any error messages?

Hello Zeus,

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for yours.

The burner does play CD's. I got an error message that says " Cannot butnr the files to CD. Verify that the disc is clean and not damaged. Select a slower recording speed or different brand of blank discs."

I tried these things and still get the message. It is window media player that I am using and it worked before I reinstalled the cd drive. My Bios settings are on auto detect drives, which it does not because the drive is set up as a slave on the hard drive cable.

Thanks,
Dena

Edited by dena, 12 February 2006 - 11:55 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Have you tried a different burning package?
Such as DeepBurner.

dena

dena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have you tried a different burning package?
Such as DeepBurner.

No I haven't, I will give that a try. So you don't think that my messing with the BIOS has anything to do with this then?? Just odd that it was working before. I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Thanks Again
Dena