Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't find my pictures on old HD

• Please log in to reply

Brian Rose

Brian Rose

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

A few days back my OS (Windows XP Home) stiopped working on my PC. I still had some data on there, hundreds of family photos which I should have backed up to DVD but had not yet.

Rather than reformat and lose all the data for certain, I bought a new HD and installed Windows on it (with my old HD detached). I then put my old HD back in as a slave and I've found old programs etc. but noting in the "my documents" area. I do a search on the HD and find no files called PIC*.jpg (which is what the camera names them.

I even went to Diskeeper Corp (www.diskeeper.com) and paid to download their Undelete program hoping that I would be able to recover the files if they had been deleted. I found many old deleted jpgs but these were ones I had deleted and never intended to recover. The ones I want just seem to be gone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Looking at the old drive, can you find a DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folder.--what is the structure beneath it

YOu may need to take posession of these folders to search them

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
-What do you mean by OS (Windows XP Home) stopped working?
If it just not funtion right then you can alway reinstall OS without having to delete all other doc.
-Beside that, did you loose any thing else other than you pic? May be it is just a matter of turning " show content option" on.

Brian Rose

Brian Rose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Under the documents and settings folder are two others - All Users and Owner.

Under All users is the following:
Desktop, Favorites, Shared Documents, Start Menu, and a file called NT USER.

Under shared documents here there is shared music, shared videos etc but these are not the files that I had saved.

Under the "Owner" folder are the following folders:

Cookies
Desktop
Favorites
My Documents
Start Menu
Windows

Here under my documents are my pictures etc. but all there are is a few "sample" pics that come with Windows.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, OWNER was you...sounds like a harddrive corruption

have you run chkdsk /r on this puppy yet?

Brian Rose

Brian Rose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I read your message and tried a chkdsk/r this morning. Unfortunatly it did not restore any files. Just so you know, the original problem that started this whole thing was I got an error reading:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I tried to do this and was not succesfull and eventually the machine would not boot. since I have an HP with a seperate recovery partition I tried to recover, but it did not work either. Same error. That's when I decided to buy a new HD and install the OS there in order to recover the documents and photos from the old drive.