Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC inspector file recover program

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i lost some really important photos videos and documents that were very valuable to me i have tried using PC inspector and Recover my files the only one to find what i was looking for was PC inspector but the problemis is when i try to save my files to a specific location after having done that it is in a .XEF encrypted file i have tried to open the image or document ( with winace) and it asks for a password which i dont no so i hit ok and it reports that it has not been encrypted with winace is this becasue the program is a freeware or shareware and i have to register or pay to open my files?

please help me i really want these files back your help would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

or is there a better program to recover these files that is free?
thankyou so much!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what Data Recovery does

http://tokiwa.tomato...Recovery_EN.zip

All About
DataRecovery is freeware and written by TOKIWA
to undelete accidentally deleted files even from recycle bin.

But DataRecovery doesn't assure that all files deleted can be recovered successfully.
It mostly depends on your system/configuration and we can't support each of all those varieties.

Compatible operating systems
Windows95/98/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP/2003
Key-features
FAT12,FAT16,FAT32,NTFS undeletion
undelete whole files in a directory in a single click
search by partial string in the file name
runnable from floppy disk
undelete NTFS compressed files
undelete EFS encrypted files
How to use
You can understand it intuitively through simple UI. So there is no need for instructions. Just KISS!

On FAT volume
First character of the file name is sometimes overwritten by delete-code on deletion. In that case the lost character is replaced by "$" on the list displayed.

Install/Un-install
DataRecovery doesn't need to be installed. Just unpack the archive you downloaded and it's runnable.
DataRecovery doesn't install anything, so no registry entries or initialization files are left on your computer when you delete the directory of DataRecovery.
File Attributes
R read-only
H hidden
S system
D directory
A archive
N normal(no other attributes are set)
T temporary
O offline
C compressed
E encrypted
Rp reparse point
I index view
Sp sparse file
License

Copyright©2005, TOKIWA All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in binary forms are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of TOKIWA nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the same problem happened i ran undelete and it found the files but after recovering or saving them when i try to open them Winace asks for a password and then says that it wasnt encrypted with winace what could be causing this?

my system specs are listed below

this wouldnt have been a problem if i would be able to image my drive then all i would do would be drag and drop but i dont have a floppy drive (stupid people at comp place said it wouldnt be needed and u could make a bootable cd but they were wrong all programs ask for a bootable floppy gunna get one this week)

is there anything else i can do undelete restores the file and it reads like this: IMAGE~23_JPG and the file is XEF-Datei
i have no idea what this is anything else u can think of?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This

Association Detective searches your computer for additional programs that can support the types of files you work with.

is part of Associate this

http://www.spearit.c...ociateThis.html

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
that didnt help i have tried to rename the files but still no luck at all i have restored some of them (previously) but now i cant get anything out of it

is there a veiwer or an extension changer o even a way to find out what the password is

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This opens most file formats

http://perso.wanadoo...enfeatures.html

Is there a reason why they have become XEF

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i dont no for some reason i went to accses the folder one day and it was missing it contained many hidden folders aswell this is a family computer so maybe someone else deleted it.

but PC inspector exports them as XEF i have never heard of this and am really stuck.
after it says that it has exported them or restored them they are there but in a XEF file (what ever that is) i dont no how to veiw them or even convert them into something that is recognisable
i have no idea what XEF is or how these programs work so how can i get these files to be restored to their original file extension so that i can see them and veiw them?