Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing .dll files

• Please log in to reply

dkb

dkb

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook w/Windows XP. When I boot up, I get these error messages:
c:\windows\system32\syntpfcs.dll is not a valid windows image, same with aoldiag\tb.dll, & several others. I can't get on the internet at all. I am connected by a wireless card, so I don't think aol even comes into play. I have had problems with malware, but I think I got rid of everything. I posted my HJT log on the malware section, but I think they are overwhelmed, and haven't had time to respond. The only other thing that might caused it, is that I let the battery run down completely. Help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
sfc /scannow
<enter>

Have your windows XP disk in the cd-rom as it will need files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dkb!

Please go HERE and read it. It is in regards to topics that people post that haven't beeen replied to for three days. Read through it and follow the instructions it gives for posting a topic regarding the fact that it has been more then three days since you posted your HijackThis log in the Malware Forum.

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Also, please note that when you post a problem, and then do not return, it causes difficulties as those folks are very busy

dkb

dkb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can't even figure out how to reply. It keeps asking me to log back in.

dkb

dkb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok that one worked.

I was very diligent in checking for replies in the other forum. I finally gave up, and wrote a message that I realized that the other problems were greater than mine. But this is on another computer.

I did as you asked, and it gave me an error message that said windows could not find the file. I have the XP disk in the drive.

If you think this is a malware problem, I don't mind going back to the other forum. I just started thinking maybe that was not the problem.

I just realized there is a space after sfc. It is running now.

The scan just completed. I re-booted, & I got the same messages. This time, a zonealarm message was included.

Edited by dkb, 02 February 2006 - 12:04 PM.