Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

General Ques : External HD - USB & 1394 Swap?

• Please log in to reply

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Can an external USB/Firewire capable hard drive be connected to the same host computer one time via USB and another time via Firewire without creating mbr, o.s., or other unforseen issues? Are there any steps that must be taken to prevent conflicts with the host computer or corruption of data on the external?

A friend purchased a new external 250gb hard drive and enclosure that is both USB and Firewire capable. After plugging in (USB) and getting it recognized by XP, he transferred quite a bit of data to it successfully. Later, after shutting down, he then connected via Firewire and was able to see only a small portion of data. Shutting down again, he reconnected it via USB and now everything seems to be gone.

If this either/or connection is not an issue, then we can proceed in troubleshooting from a different look.

Edited by Cap, 02 February 2006 - 09:08 AM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Cap – [USB 1394 Alternate Hosting]
2nd Feb 2006

Can an external USB/Firewire capable hard drive be connected to the same host computer one time via USB and another time via Firewire without creating mbr, o.s., or other unforseen issues? Are there any steps that must be taken to prevent conflicts with the host computer or corruption of data on the external?

Short Answer – [No]

Dutchman’s Analysis

That is a – [?] – And the answer would probably depend on the – [Hosting Chipset/s] – Both USB & IEEE 1394 Host Controllers have a wide range of – [Anomalies] – that would make this to be a bad idea –

It would depend on – How well the Chipset Manufacturer/Designer – [User Tested] – for this condition – and how varied a combination of Drives – Enclosures & Operating Systems were used in the study -

Offhand - I think that the way your friend did the – [Swapping of Hosts] – probably created a [Master Boot Record Error] – That probably occurred during the – [Shutdown Process] – And again it may or may not display the same results every time -

Being that most Drives & Enclosures are advertised as – [Hot Swappable] – That would suggest using that – [Property] – if you wanted to do this – However – [Dual Host Incorporation] – was not for that purpose -

The purpose was to – [Share the Drive] – between Computers that had USB or IEEE 1394 Hosting Interface Capabilities – Not sharing – [Host Controllers] – on the same PC

My experience using USB External Drives – has given somewhat similar results –

Once in a while – I cannot boot up a PC that I have removed an External Drive after shutting down – I need to have the drive connected – that was connected before shutdown – In order to Boot up –

My Work Around Plan –

1- [Hot Disconnect] – Properly 1st – prior to Shutdown – by Using the [Safe to Disconnect Process/Application]
2- [Shutdown]

This is what works for me –

Now – I do not have any of my external drives on a Network – but I often wonder – what problems occur for others that do have networks – Especially Wireless – and if EMI has any Effect on these Anomalies –

I have documented some of these Anomalies to be a result of – [Inrush Current] – [Settling Time] – [Grounding Practices] – [PC Resource Conflicts] – But I have limited resources with –[Testing Equipment] – [Devices] – [Computers] & [Time] – Which all = [Money] = My [Largest Retardation] -

So from my experience - I would suggest – 1st Just keep to a [Single Host Type] per PC and try the following method and use [Step 6] to Shutdown – Instead of Switching – [Host Controllers]

1- Keeping External Drive Disconnected –
2- Boot up PC –
3- Wait until Windows is Installed –
4- [Hot Connect] – External Drive – Either by USB or IEEE 1394 –
5- Now – Before Shutdown – [Hot Disconnect] – External Drive – Using – [Safe to Remove] – Process/Application –
6- Now Either – [Shutdown] – (Recommended) – Or
7- [Hot Connect – External Drive – Using Alternate Host – (Not Recommended) –
8- Now – Before Shutdown – [Hot Disconnect] – External Drive – Using – [Safe to Remove] – Process/Application –
9- Shutdown

This is only a suggestion – You may find that the – [Hot Disconnect] – may not function for you properly – And you may prefer to – [Shutdown] in [Step 5] – with Drive Connected – [??] You may not experience the same – [Anomaly] – that I do – But I certainly would treat the [Drive/Enclosure] – as an – [Either/Or Host Controller Device] – And I Definitely – [Would NOT] – connect both Host Controllers Simultaneously – [NEVER EVER] – Gives me the shivers – Just thinking of it being done – I would hope that some electronic interlock would be in place –

Answer = Not recommended

589 Word Count
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 February 2006 - 01:54 PM.