Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003 Lisense Question

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok so I am switching out 4 old computers for four new ones on a Micrsoft 2003 Server domain. When the new computers are connected to the domain they automaticly download Office 2003 from the server. The problem with this is that Office 2003 on the server only has Outlook 2003 on it and all of the computers in the office (total of 6) require Word, Power Point, and Excel for their daily operations. The old machines are all using Office 2000 Professional, one of the very old editions. The install disk of the old Office 2000 Pro is not compatable with the new operating systems (XP Pro SP2) so they cant be installed. I know this seems like a wird situation but the install disk they have for Office 2000 Pro are designed for Windows 98 and NT. Thus during installation they have issues reading many of the files needed for proper installation.

My question is, since Office 2003 is lisensed on the server, and is shared with all the computers on the network, can I just purchase one copy of the Office 2003 upgrade and install it on all the machines without worrying about lisensesing issues or do we need to purchase individual software packages for each machine?

This office is a small deparment of the county goverment and their budjet is very small. To purchase individual software packages for each machine will be very expensive and out of their budjet range im afraid.

Thanks

Rj

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your budget will have to take a hit...all copies of office must be licensed individually (by individually i mean one license per installed copy...you can get volume licensing).....so...you can't have one location to install from without multiple licenses....if everyone were sharing the same install..i.e. runing the software FROM the server...that would be a different story...but...it would deffinitely not be a good idea to do it this way.....so basically yeah..you're gonna have to purchase a new copy for each machine

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Since the office does have a site lisense for Office 2003 on the server, couldnt I then just upgrade Office 2003 on the server and then have the rest of the computers on the network install it from there?

Ya im prob reaching now, but it seems to make so much sense in my head. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um....well....depends on what you mean by site license.. if it's an unlimited license (never heard of such a thing) then sure.....but if not..you need to make sure that there's enough licensing for each machine needed

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well they do have that. This office got nailed about 6 years ago for software that was not licensed. When the new Exec Director took over he made sure that all software on all machines was legit. They paid big money for the site license on the server for all shared programs.

Hence the reason why I even have to ask this question, because the last thing I want to do is load unlicensed software into the new machines.

However none of this actually matters anymore. Turns out the issues I was having with Office 2000 Pro (which I know is licensed all the way around) was nothing more then a bad IDE cable which wouldnt allow the disk to read the HD correcetly.

Office 2000 Pro is now loaded up and ready to go.

But thanks for your time. I appreciate it. I will prob be stopping back here often. Its a very nice site.